Day 14: Toledo Layover Day - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2023

Day 14: Toledo Layover Day

After sleeping in a bit, we enjoyed a lovely breakfast of eggs, cheese, bacon, pastries, and fresh squeezed orange juice.  A standard French breakfast is coffee and croissants and we're loving the eggs and bacon offered here in Spain.  

We decided to take the day off from riding and enjoy the city.  But first we found the lavanderia and did our laundry.  Yeah!  Really clean clothes.  Small things make a big difference.  You see, on trips like this we wash in a sink every day and use a chamois to help remove as much water before hanging the clothes to dry.  Washing machines and dryers - yeah!!

After our chore was finished, we took the escalators (all 6 sets) up into the city center in search of the Iglesia Santo Tomé.  We found it and entered and found ourselves roped in during mass.  The voices from the choir loft were beautiful, but it was time to find a way out.  

I was tacky and snuck this photo of the altar in Iglesia de Santo Tomé before leaving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found another church, but they wanted 3 euros per person to enter. I snapped a photo and we left.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 As we continued to wander through the cobbled streets, we came across this vegetarian restaurant.

The caption on the door caught my attention: Free the Chicken Roll.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Toledo is known for its knife, sword, and armor industry. Many stores have swords on display, but we like this one the best. The first row were around 100 euros, the second row in the 200 euros range, and who knows about the armor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then we stumbled across these beautiful pieces.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finally wound our way to the Cathedral and bought tickets and the audio guide.  We've seen a few cathedrals on this trip and during last two years' trips to Italy.  This one is definitely my favorite!  

One of the organs above the choir chamber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pillars along the walls of the central choir chamber using red marble.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massive doors that were the original entrance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main altar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Closer view of the altar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And even closer view of the altar - gold everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then we walked around to the backside of the altar and this took my breath away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Queen Isabel commissioned this work.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The portal above with a window that puts the perfect light on the masterpiece.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Doors to the charter house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
El Greco painting in the Sacristy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goya paint in the Sacristy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The choir room with its intricately carved chairs. It houses about 140 choristers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The organ - sure wish we could hear it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Closeup of one of the carvings done on the choir chairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elaborate ciborium
Heart 0 Comment 0

After wandering through the cathedral, we enjoyed a delicious artisanal ice cream before catching the little train for a tour of the city.  

The train took us out of the old city and across the river so we could see the city from afar. The large building with 4 towers is the alcazar (a fortress that houses a military museum).
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old castle used for protection that sits on the opposite side of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
City view from across the river - the alcazar and the cathedral stand tall above everything else.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the cathedral that we toured earlier this day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is the road our train took - it hangs over the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We ended the day with a dinner at the Arabian Touch - three of us shared a selection of dips (hummus, etc.), chicken schwarma sandwiches, and a beef tajine with couscous.  No alcohol in this restaurant so we enjoyed an iced pomegranate tea.

I think we will head here for dinner tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow is the final day ride for the first half our our tour and will take us into Madrid.  We've been told the last 28k will be on a bike path into the city.  

The courtyard entry to our hotel - Hotel del Cardenel in Toledo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Vernon PhinneyI think I would have stayed all day in the Cathedral and just sat and looked at all the intricate carving and art work.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
rod dayDid you not find the Federico Bahamontes "The Eagle of Tolado" bike shop?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyNo, all bike shops were closed the day we were there. However, we saw his monument.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago