Day 15: Toledo to Madrid - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2023

Day 15: Toledo to Madrid

We have a long day ahead of us as we ride into Madrid.  Madrid is the end city of BAC's Trans Spain I trip.  Out of the 28 folks on this tour with us, 5 will leave us in Madrid, and 7 more will join us for the Trans Spain II trip.

Our day started with brisk air and some busy road before we were back out on quiet roads.  According to the elevation profile, it will be a fairly flat day with just 2 short climbs.  It was a fast day for us with the flats; the kilometers flew by.  Photos were few, but the scenery wasn't the prettiest - a few fields and more industrial feeling as we head towards the capital of Spain.

Standard roadside views from today
Heart 1 Comment 0
But there are still olive trees everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some wildflowers here and there
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mesa stuck out on the skyline for a long time
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Aranjuez, the city where the summer palaces for the royalty of Spain were constructed.  We wandered through the area and came across a triathlon - it appears we were close to the bike/run transition zone.

Summer castle in Aranjuez
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gardens
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the summer castle
Heart 4 Comment 0
Additional buildings that created a huge square with the summer castle around the gardens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A portico
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fountain with intriguing animals
Heart 3 Comment 0
A close up of the fountain
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another fountain that seems to be under repair
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some triathletes coming into a tight corner
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw some of the first guys pulling their feet out of shoes which led us to believe that they were coming into the bike/run transition.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw this water mill as we were leaving Aranjuez.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After Aranjuez the road became somewhat boring and started to feel long.  We came into a round-a-bout and 9 riders entered it in front of us. The main group continued around, but 3 turned down the road we were headed for.  We came up on them and they were going a bit slower than us, so Chuck decided to pass them.  Of course, they jumped on and I knew we were in for it.  We pulled them for about 5k at 30-35kph until we met up with their group as we entered the village of Saint Martin de la Vega.  Thank goodness that was over!  We stopped at a cafe for a cold beverage and watched several large pelotons pass us, a couple of which were even being followed by team cars.  The number of cyclists that passed us while we sat there was huge!  We decided there must be some kind of event happening since it's a holiday: Mother's Day.

We set off again in search of the bike path that will take us into Madrid.

The view from the top of the "big" (not) climb of the day. Madrid is across that entire photo frame, but not completely visible with my camera.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonFantastic clouds!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyI agree. Hope Italy is treating you well.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The bike path we are navigating into the city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Poppy field
Heart 5 Comment 0
We came across this artwork at a round-a-bout.
Heart 2 Comment 2
rod dayYou know that I love Chuck, but a work of art....?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyHa ha ha !!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's going to hit Chuck!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We made it to the hotel with only one extra loop on the bike paths in the city.  The bike paths are extensive, but used by walkers, scooters, and roller blades.  Chuck was pretty tired at the end.

We had a group dinner at a restaurant upriver from the hotel and we walked under the Segovia Bridge.

Gardens along the Segovia Bridge in Madrid.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Segovia Bridge was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War and subsequently rebuilt.
Heart 1 Comment 0

     The first half of our trip has been great!  We had some really nice rides and we've explored a lot of history of this country.  We've experienced heatwaves and now we're back into a more normal weather pattern which makes cycling much more enjoyable.  IberoCycles does an amazing job putting tours on - lots of history is explained each night at our happy hour gatherings.  So, if you ever consider a trip with Simon Proffitt of IberoCycles our advice is to go on the tour - he's wonderful.  We also had to say goodbye to our second in command, Borja, who took care of our baggage and our bicycles.  He says he can't be away from the office for a month, so he's sending another guy to look after us.  

We have a couple of days now to explore Madrid before we set off on the second half of this traverse across Spain.

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 1,155 km (717 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezWould you by chance have a map to share of your entry into Madrid? We are flying into Madrid in June, and are exiting to the north. I found a bicycle club route directions for that exit, but have not found a good entry from south. I've enjoyed following along with you on your tour.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sanna PhinneyCertainly. Send me your email address and I’ll send you our Ride with GPS route.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Sanna PhinneyThank you!

kelly dot iniguez at gmail dot com
Reply to this comment
10 months ago