Day 13: Horcajo de los Montes to Toledo - Traversing the Iberian Peninsula from South to North - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2023

Day 13: Horcajo de los Montes to Toledo

In the crisp morning air (we wore wind jackets for the first few kilometers), we set off for Toledo.  In my research I learned about the importance of Toledo especially in the Queen Isabel and King Ferdinand era.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the bend of the Tagus (Tajo) River.

But first we have a couple of decent climbs to conquer.  The first climb was crossing the Parque Nacional de Cabañeros, which is known for ornithology more than scenery.  A lucky individual could see a red deer or javelin (wild boar) while crossing the park.  The birds were very vocal as we rode through the park - it is that time of year!

Crossing the national park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountains in the background of the national park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Road conditions were very nice through the park
Heart 2 Comment 0
The topped (or butterfly) lavender was prolific and beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The wild topped lavender field - the sun position wasn't the best for taking this shot from the road. Photo courtesy of Maryann M.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second climb became visible as we road across the plains after the descent.  We passed a couple of small villages and crossed golden fields that were magnified by the mountains in the distance and the blue skies above.

Retuerta de Bullaque, one of the small villages we passed through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're headed towards that mountain and will climb over it somewhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Multiple contrails were visible in the sky (we are on our way towards Madrid).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our buddy, Steve from Bend.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And then came the climb over the mountains from the village of San Pablo de los Montes.  It's about a 7k climb with 400m of elevation gain . . .  hmmm, should be interesting.  The good thing is that it is almost all downhill from the top into Toledo - at least that's what the profile map looks like.  We will see.

We had just started the climb - looking back down - and we're still not sure which way it will take us up and over.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're about halfway up the climb from this scenic spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mike from Anacortes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We're about 2/3rds of the way up the climb now.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rich FrasierAnd still smiling!! :)
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Sanna PhinneyYou bet'cha!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
That was one heck of a great climb - tough in spots, but a really nice climb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Panoramic view just before we go over the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view is lovely and there are three lakes way back there in the haze, but too far away to see with our camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the view before we begin the descent.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road surface is really nice for this descent with a couple of switchbacks.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at a cafe at the bottom of this descent for a refreshing lemonade before finishing the ride into Toledo.  The rest of the ride was fairly flat and as we got closer to the big city, the traffic became heavier.  There were a lot of golden fields and some vineyards.  The traffic was very respectful to us and gave us plenty of room.

Rock walls were built all over the hillsides - that must've take a lot of labor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Golden fields with poppies.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The architecture is beginning to change now. This is the church: Parroquia de Santiago Apóstol.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street corner by the church above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed into the province of Castilla/La Mancha and these are their road markers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the 100k mark, we arrived at the Hacienda del Cardenas Toledo - our hotel for the next 2 nights.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since we have a layover day, we went to walk around the old city center in search of ice cream and to get the lay of the land.  We didn't plan any tourist site visits here and are thankful to be free to see what we want when we want.  What a historical trip this tour has been so far.  Spain is full of history!

As we left our hotel, we entered this city gate. Our hotel is actually built into the old city wall.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We found Don Quixote.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Street scene in Toledo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Street scene in Toledo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another gate entry into the old city.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had a simple dinner of magret (duck breast) in raspberry sauce and pork tenderloin chimichurri.  The food has been delicious and very different from our typical fare in France.  

Day 13: Horcajo de los Montes to Toledo
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 1,255 km (779 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0