Water Views - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

January 5, 2020

Water Views

Treadling the Kaohsiung Canal Paths and Beach Bikeways

By sheer luck we found, and then cycled the path beside a canal flowing just behind our hotel. Seven hours later by following the water, we’d had a lot of fun cycling about 35 kilometres of mostly quiet back streets, warehouse markets and the working harbour. We also caught a ferry across to a nearby island and cycled its beach side paths.

We’ve been won over by Kaohsiung City. It’s a delightful place with eye-catching street sculptures, great street food, cool sea breezes, quirky craft markets and bicycle friendly infrastructure. Sure it is a big industrial city, but it balances this functionality with lots of attractive public spaces and people centred developments. 

We had a very memorable and enjoyable day tootling slowly around on our bikes at a leisurely pace just exploring the area with no real plan. I especially enjoyed finding our hotel was located in an area with a lot of Indonesian people and restaurants. It was like finding old friends. 

We followed the Love River bikeway to and from the harbour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the many outdoor artworks in the warehouse market area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating this seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn’t. Way too sweet. Note to self. Don’t get fooled by good looking sweets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall tap turned into an art piece at the warehouse markets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Being a Sunday, lots of families were in the harbour market area. This swing was popular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine display of wielding prowess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard to miss Kaohsiung’s tallest building. The guide book said it’s shape is rocket like. Saturn or Titan?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joe gives the thumbs up to today’s mostly traffic free riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A decent sized dry dock. Ship building and maintenance seem to be major industries here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Busy afternoon on the island. This is the exit view from the ferry crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joe discovering another aspect of a cycle touring. It’s not all headwinds and motor scooter traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good advice
Heart 1 Comment 0
One or two ships queuing up to enter the harbour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the island bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heavy holiday traffic on the island bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing display of synchronised kite flying. It was mesmerising to watch these guys in action.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just some of the hundreds of kites. It is a major activity here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Player coaches keeping an eye on the flying kites.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Family dog celebrates its 7th Birthday with a Sunday outing in the beach park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roll on roll off ferry service we used to cross to the island. It only takes about 15 minutes to cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes on board for the return trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 230 km (143 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0