Into The Hills - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

January 7, 2020

Into The Hills

Via the beach

The hot spring baths. 40°C + in the hottest. Alternating soaks in the hot and cold pools was a very relaxing experience. These are carbonate hot springs. No sulfur smell.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After riding a lap or two of downtown Taitung to find a well stocked bike shop, we replaced a slow leaking tube, bought a spare patch kit, pumped up our tyres and began pedalling in exactly the opposite direction we need to return eventually to Taipei. 

The reason for an about turn is that we saw a sign to hot springs in the high country to the south of Taitung, so that’s where we meandered to. We eventually found our way up to a place called the Rainbow Resort. It seems to cater mostly for the older crowd, and it feels half-closed. Perhaps the quiet season or not many people visit mid-week. Whatever the reason, it is pleasantly quiet, surrounded by high, forested hills and has clean, basic accommodation. It also has  outdoor spa pools ranging from 40°C to about 20°C so we spent a couple of hours alternating being parboiled to semi-chilled while sitting in sulfurous waters with views to the hills. Thankfully we packed our swimming costumes. We did however have to borrow swimming caps. No bare heads allowed in the pools.

Another highlight of today was a visit to a very peaceful Buddhist monastery a few kilometres, and a couple of hundred metres uphill, from where we are staying.

In summary, it was a wonderful day.
Cycling, beach views, hot springs, mountains, forests and immersion in a delightful rural environment. And sharing this with one of my sons is a very special experience. 

I like Taiwan.

There are very punny restaurants here on the east coast
Heart 1 Comment 0
That’s a first. A storage yard full of massive concrete thorns. Built to either stop waves or amphibious landing craft?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking inland and west to the Central Ranges
Heart 1 Comment 0
These roared overhead. Very big. Very fast and extremely loud.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing traffic at the road edge. Yes it’s very rural. Feeling at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bananas. Lots of them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The quiet road south.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rice seedlings. Masses of them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hamlet near the rice growing area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That’s what we are cycling on
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks just like the NZ South Island west coast rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That’d be the Pacific Ocean
Heart 0 Comment 0
Onwards and upwards. Into a river valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
That’s the river part of the river valley. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joe is probably starting to think, “How much more climbing?”
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find the hot spring and spa area. This is a public one. We pushed on further up the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many delightful things about cycling in Taiwan is coming across these small, local, and very colourful shrines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The earth leaks sulfurous steam in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eye Safety Taiwan style. Hold your gloved hand between the welding rod and your eyes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’ll be staying down there some where. View from the hillside Buddhist Monastery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of the Monastery Complex.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bicycle park balcony at the Rainbow Hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The accommodation. More fading than grandeur, but perfectly adequate for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 285 km (177 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0