In Aguilar: Day 1 - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2024

In Aguilar: Day 1

We stayed in Aguilar for three nights and were lucky enough with the weather that we managed to get out for a walk or ride on each of the three days - much better than we anticipated in the days before we arrived, when we expected to get completely rained out on at least one of our layover days.

I’m going to save some time and mostly let the photos and captions speak for all three days, which I’ll post separately.  As a general note on our stay though, we really loved Aguilar.  It felt like one of those ‘just right’ destinations for us: an interesting and appealing setting on the Pisuerga River with an abundance of green space along the river; large enough to have a decent selection of facilities (especially restaurants) to support a longer stay, and a rich set of options for hikes and rides that we didn’t come close to exhausting.  We were both sorry when the time came to leave and would love to come back someday.  It felt like it would be an excellent base for a stay of a week or more.

On the day we arrived we both got out for afternoon walks.  Rachael took a seven mile hike west to the large reservoir formed by a dam on the river just west of town and came back raving about the scenery.  I took a similar but shorter walk, following the river west as far as the dam before turning back and through town on the opposite bank.

Photos from Rachael’s walk:

Looking down on the Aguilar Reservoir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the reservoir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here she’s walking a few miles long the northeast rim of the reservoir. She’s following the Ovidado Camino, a minor route in the network of ways to Santiago.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Ovidado Camino is an older and less traveled route that begins in Bilbao and passes through the Cantabrian Mountains before eventually merging into the French Way further to the west from here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The flowers are spectacular here now. This looks like a meadow of heather.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Camino Ovidado.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Camino Ovidado.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On her return she left the Camino for a parallel path further up and away from the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view down on the Pisuerga and out toward town, from the top of the dam.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A view from the base of the dam.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Keith AdamsIt's leaking.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYes. Sad. Where’s a little Dutch boy when you need one?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsHe's on the train from Jefferson City to Kirkwood, having abandoned his ride on the Katy Trail.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

After I’d loaded some of her photos into the post I was reminded that she had loaded those and others from her walk into a slideshow.  Might as well include both, as long as the photos are already here.

Photos from Scott’s walk:

The first half of my walk followed the walking path out to the dam along the south bank of the river. Here were in town, looking across the river at the Collegiate Church of San Miguel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Puente Mayor and the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The peaceful path along the south bank.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hawthorn?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A grey wagtail. Nine times out of ten here, a bird I see in the water is a wagtail; and nine times out of ten of those it’s a white wagtail. Nice to see the exceptional one.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And then there’s the real exception: a white-throated dipper (#232), a bird I’ve had my eye out for for quite some time.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beneath the dam is a footbridge across the river. This graceful spillway gusher is the same spray Rachael took a photo of from higher above.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI wonder if they do that to aerate the water.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The Pisuerga River, considerably smaller here than when it passes through Valladolid.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Industrial relics are scattered across the park beneath the dam.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another perspective on the castle, and the Santa Maria Monastery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some poppies.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Angela NaefLovely photo!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Looking downriver toward the town’s historical center. That’s the dome of the collegiate church rising above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael and I converged briefly as we both arrived in town. Very briefly, because she’s on an urgent calorie quest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The collegiate church and the Plaza España.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Plaza España.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0