Day 7: Part 2 - What I Did On My Summer Vacation - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2010

Day 7: Part 2

Today was a really fun day. It started in Middlegate after a monster breakfast and we headed out in beautiful weather.

The first stop was the shoe tree. I don't know how it got started either but there are shoes hanging all over it (see pic).

We stopped at quite a few pony express historical markers and old pony express outposts and did some site seeing.

The highlight of the day was the scenery, with beautiful valleys. One even had, what looked like, prairie grasses blowing in the wind--I LOVE that!

There was a long, hard, hot climb about halfway through the ride. It was one of those climbs that lasts forever with false summit after false summit after false summit... Finally, FINALLY we made it, and when we looked over to the other side saw a magnificent valley. After a short downhill to the other side, and a short easy uphill, we began to descend again and it was one of the best biking decents I have ever experienced! It went on forever (over 10 miles) with breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks in the distance. The great road surface made the experience even better because I didn't have to really "watch" the road, I could just ride carefree... It was a memorable experience!

We arrived in Austin tired but feeling good about the ride. When we stopped to ask about camping the locals said we could camp in the local park but that, "the sprinklers go off at all hours of the night." After scoping the place out we found the horseshoe pits to be a good option. They were not watered and were the highest point overlooking the town.

After dinner and a shower at the local Baptist church/that doubled as an RV park the day was done...

This was the kind of thing we saw all afternoon!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shoe tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw lots of pony express stuff
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now WHY can't they have more of THESE out in the middle of nowhere?
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's Fred way down the hill on that awesome downhill section
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's me coming up the last climb of the day into Austin. Picture by Fred.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was REALLY tired after that last climb!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here was the city park we were in. The horseshoe pit was better than the grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0