Udine to Venzone. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2023

Udine to Venzone.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The major concern for today was the weather.  The forecast for the next few days looks quite variable and thunderstorms are expected each day for the remainder of the week.  Today, we were lucky enough to dodge the rain for most of the day, until it couldn't be avoided.  It was an adventure alright.  

When I looked out the window at 5am, the sky looked ominous and purple, but we knew we had a good window of time until about mid-afternoon to ride and take advantage of the most favorable weather.  It rained lightly during breakfast, but it didn't amount to much.  But, this was just a harbinger for things to come later in the day.  More on that later.

With the window of favorable riding conditions for today being slender, we packed up early and were on the road by 7:30am.

The Hotel Principie suited us just fine for a one night stay in Udine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready for our first day on this tour.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I poked my nose into the Udine Cathedral before leaving this morning. Built in the 13th century.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Once we got our bearings straight, we were able find our way out of Udine without too many issues and we pointed ourselves north toward the Julian Alps in the far distance.  

The Julian Alps are a limestone mountain range found in the Northeast of Italy straddling the Slovenian border.  They are mainly limestone in composition and are said to have some of the only remaining European bears left on the continent, sadly.  There are also ibex, lynx, chamois and other large ungulates.  Over the next week or so we'll be getting more acquainted with this range as we head north, then east into Slovenia.

Zoomed in on the Julian Alps.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Riding narrow lanes somewhere north of the town of Colunga.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Much of today's ride was on the Alpe Adria cycle route that runs north/south from Salzburg to Grado.  It's about 415kms long and is a dedicated cycle route for most of its stretch.  Throughout the day, we passed dozens of other tourers heading south, the opposite direction from us.  There were many waves and hellos to be had.

Slowly and gradually climbing as the terrain sloped upwards almost unnoticed for this part of the day. The Julian Alps in the distance.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A slightly blurry shot of sunflowers is better that no shot at all.
Heart 6 Comment 0

This would not be the first time we would pass these same sunflowers, much to our growing frustration.  When we neared the town of Tricesimo, our window of time seemed to slam down on our fingers, and we spent the next hour literally going in circles. Unbeknownst to us at the time, this faffing about would have consequences later in the day.

If you look at our map above near the town of Tricesimo, you can imagine two cyclists scratching their heads on the side of the road with cartoon thinking bubbles over their heads each with the capitalized acronym "WTF?" floating above.

It was kind of comical as we recognized several cyclists coming toward us on more than one occasion.  One old chap said in a thick German accent, "Haven't we seen you two before?"  Yes, yes you have.

What we failed to notice was a tiny Alpe Adria sticker hiding out of view on a stop sign pole indicating the way north.  We had passed this little lane at least three times, and it appeared to us like a private driveway of some sort.  But, 'clearly' it wasn't.  It was our route.

Free at last.....
Heart 5 Comment 0

Once we were pointed in the right direction, we had a good laugh and got on with the day.  The day was not without minor hiccups with route finding, but we managed alright, picking our way along small roads in the general direction of our destination.  

Nearing the town of Cassacco.
Heart 8 Comment 0
We've been passing this crop a lot today. We were wondering what it was. We thought it was potato, but I would expect to see it flowering at this time of year. Any thoughts?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraThanks Hannah!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

These were the best kms of the day!  The pastoral scenery and rolling terrain was a delight.  As we were pedaling along, we passed someone's property whose entrepreneurial spirit begged us to take a break and stop for a cool beverage.  There were other cycle tourists lounging on picnic tables and sitting around under the shade of a beautiful locust tree.  This place seemed to be also popular with the community as joyful banter between neighbours filled the air.

Rest stop in someone's front yard. They sold beer, pastries, and other cold beverages.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cheers.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Swollen waterways from the recent storms in this region.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sky is appearing rather ominous.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have made a slight descent into the Tagliamento River basin here. We are heading north through the small gap between mountains on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cool and refreshing cycling along the Tagliamento. We rode some nice gravel sections through the floodplain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stopped at the Sport Fisherman's Club Property. Sue is perched beside a cool and clear tributary of the Tagliamento searching for fish.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Very lush and green in this region. Almost reminds us of the Basque Country. I suspect that this region has a bit of a microclimate that gets more precipitation. I'll have to do some research to see if this is the case.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The prelude. The first drops of rain forces Sue to pull out her pannier covers.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Soon after this, a consistent light rain began to fall which required us to pull out the rain jackets.  We were actually wondering if we'd need them at all on this trip, with the searing heat and dry weather gripping most of Europe at this time. 

We had about 15kms left to ride, and the rain began transition from a light sprinkle, to rain, then on to something completely different.  At this point in the ride, the dipsy doodling that is typical of many European cycle routes made us wonder if we should just get on the road and make haste, a more direct route to our destination.  But, we thought, it doesn't matter now,  we're wet and we'd rather be wet than get on a busier road with increasingly darker skies and deteriorating visibility.  How bad can the rain get anyways?

Crossing the Tagliamento River.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Taking refuge under a bridge. At this point, the drops from the rain tapped away on the touchscreen of my GPS, forcing it to change settings and pages. Taking out a phone and using the touchscreen too was useless. We spent a few moments here, and decided to push on the final 8kms. Buckle up.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Christy McTaitThat was an intense finish to your day, glad you had each other's backs 🙏❤️
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

What ensued was the worst weather we have ever cycled in, period.  This was not just heavy rain, but a severe storm.  The wind picked up and the rain came down in sheets and blew at us head on.  The sheer power of this rain battered us, pelted our eyeballs to the point of pain, and whipped us around; rain jackets flapping in the wind.

To our left, the mountainside rose quite steeply, and we both remined ourselves to keep a close eye on the slope above us, just in case a debris torrent would not come crashing down on us.  Increasingly, the narrow paths of these debris torrents went from trickles of water to cascading across the road we were cycling on.  I tell you it was intense.  We re-crossed the Tagliamento and finally arrived in Venzone.  We found refuge under a building's eave, fumbled with a water soaked screen, and eventually pulled up the address of our guesthouse.  Thankfully, it was only two hundred meters away.

Dry and inside. What a day.
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we arrived at our guesthouse, the wonderful host came out with umbrellas.  Sue and I both found this quite comical, as we both looked like drowned rats.   We were both beyond the help of any umbrella at this point.  We both also knew that we would have arrived dry if it were not for our getting lost earlier in the day.  Oh well....

Soon after we arrived, the sky miraculously cleared. I don't think I've ever seen such a quick transition from one type of weather to another in my life. It was odd.
Heart 7 Comment 0

So,  once we dealt with the wet gear and showered, we were off to explore the incredible town of Venzone.  I'll post a separate photo montage of our time there in a separate post.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 67 km (42 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Scott AndersonWhat a stressful start to your tour! I’m glad you made it in safely.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHey Scott. Great to hear from you. Thanks for your well-wishes. It was quite something, alright. I've been wondering if you'll be back through Vancouver after your tour? We get back on the 11th, and we would love to meet up with you guys if you're in town if that works.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraSo zero for two, unfortunately. We’re not coming back through Vancouver, and even if we were we’d be to early - we’ll be back in Portland before you return home. I’m sorry we didn’t reach out at the start of our tour, but for some reason I was thinking you’d be on the road yourselves by then. Next time for sure.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
David MathersOMG…pelted eyeballs on day 1 of riding! It’s only going to get better from here 👍
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo David MathersHi Dave. We managed to dodge nasty weather yesterday on our way to Tarvisio, so already things have improved by 50% !
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonDarn. One day, Scott. We're going to have to make it happen. Seems like we've been communicating for almost a decade!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraYou’re right. Maybe we should make a weekend jaunt up that way later this year when I’m convalescing.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonOr....we could come down! We haven't been down to Portland in years. Is your procedure in November, if I remember correctly?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraOctober 31st. It’s an overnight procedure, but assuming it goes as planned I’ll just be hanging it out taking it easy for most of the month. At the end of November we’ll head south for the winter.

Or we could split the difference and meet in Seattle. I’m sure I’ll be up there to meet with dad sometime. Something to think about later this year, but you’ve got a tour to get back to, don’t you?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonLet's plan on it. It's only 9 degrees here this morning in Trevisio! We don't need to rush off this morning. We only have about a 25km ride to Kranjska Gora today!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’m so sorry to hear you had such horrendous weather!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachel. We've actually been pretty lucky. For the most part, we've managed to dodge most of the weather. It was only that one day so far. Hopefully, Tuesday cooperates?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago