Travel Day Part I. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2023

Travel Day Part I.

YVR to YUL

The alarm was set last night for 4:30am for the first leg of our journey, a flight from Vancouver to Montreal.  We tend not to sleep well before these long travel days, and there was really no need for the alarms this morning at all as we were both well awake before even needing them.

The master planner at work....
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a quick dose of caffeine, and a few minutes watching today's Tour de France time trial, we were out on the sidewalk waiting for our cab.  A beautiful Vancouver morning.

If you followed our tour from last summer, you might recall that we had experienced some issues with ordering a taxi-van capable of accommodating our two bicycles, luggage and us.   I ordered a van online the night before and received a confirmation that one would be available.  I cursed Vancouver Taxi, and made a mental note that I would not be using their services the following year.  In the end, we had to order two cabs.

Our morning ritual for the last two weeks. Watching the Tour. Today's stage is a time trial, which I'm okay with missing today. Time trials are not my favorite stages to watch, anyways.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not to be foiled again this year, we were prepared.  We did order a van on line last night, but we were also fully prepared to take two cabs, just in case a van was not available.   This was the case again this year.  But, at least I received a phone call from Black Top cabs this morning informing us that no vans were available; which was not the case last year.  So, again, a two cab solution.  

A two-cab solution. Sue's in the cab behind!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's always a 'hurry up and wait' kind of experience when you travel, and we arrived with plenty of waiting time in hand.  But, it's better than rushing frantically on a travel day.  So.  So far, so good.

Arrived at YVR.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Thanks to Christopher at the Air Canada counter for his excellent help.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're currently lounging at YVR waiting for our 8:50am departure.  The bikes and baggage have been tagged to Venice.  It's going to be a long travel day.  It's hard to believe that in half a day's travel, we will find ourselves walking around the streets of Mestre tomorrow morning.   We'll have a full day in Mestre, then we're taking a train to Udine.  One night in Udine, then the cycling part of our trip begins.   Giddy-up.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jacquie GaudetSo exciting! So exhausting! I hate air travel but the reward is worth it.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Jacquie GaudetYou're so right! We just arrived. So hot!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
David MathersI'm looking forward to following along. 🚴‍♂️ Best wishes for a great tour😍.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott FenwickGlad to see you on your way and very interested to see Slovenia from your perspective. We completed a short section along the Drava that appears to part of your route. It was great. Hope the temperatures drop a bit for you and good luck!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott FenwickHi Scott. Thanks for writing. We're enjoying an Aperol Spritz in Mestre. Looking forward to beginning the cycling portion of the trip. I remember reading your journal along the Drava. I have to say that it's damn hot, though. Cheers.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo David MathersHey Dave. Thanks. We really enjoyed your journal. Where too next for you guys. We're looking forward to retirement in the next few years so we don't have to be restrained to cycling in the oppressive summer heat every year.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago