Steytlerville - Tiny step 2: A week in the Karoo - CycleBlaze

January 12, 2022

Steytlerville

We had a large but uninspiring breakfast before heading back to Steytlerville.  A good tailwind and a smooth road for most of the way made for an easier ride than the previous two days.  The first nine kilometers back to the main road was rough and slow and the last five kilometers into Steytlerville heavily corrugated.   Between the two we made good time.

The dog tried to follow us. It took a lot of harsh words to get him to turn back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cockscomb in the background, top left, as Leigh walks out of a drift. At one thousand seven hundred and sixty eight meters above sea-level it is the highest peak in the area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A reminder of the drought.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) would normally clear this fence with ease but this cow must have been too weak and got caught in the wire.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow, what a grim image.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The sign warning of a drift ahead, a place where an ephemeral river crosses the road. The exits from these are steep, many being well over ten percent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice road surface for much of the way today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are spending two nights at Baviaans Bike Packers in Steytlerville.  The original idea was to do an out-ride from Bucklands but we felt a rest day would be needed between the eastern and western sections of this short tour.  

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 138 km (86 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0