Getting Ready for Lift Off - Steel City to Trumptown - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2019

Getting Ready for Lift Off

Tomorrow, depending on whether we find the backbone to answer the alarm clock, we drive away by 7 AM in hopes of arriving in Pittsburgh at 6 PM EST. It was a dark realization that we lose an hour to the clock heading east. Oh well. We're banking on the drive taking 10 hours total, including stops. That should give us ample time to check in and perhaps even take a stroll down to the Three Rivers confluence.

We were a bit shocked at how little gear we are actually needing to carry this trip. Since we're foregoing camping (oh the shame .. what weak, pasty, softies we've become in our old age) there's no need to bring a tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, or camping pillows. We also don't need to bring cooking gear because it's going to be all restaurants and/or convenience store meals for us. Essentially its clothes, sports bars, and electronics! Oh, and Starbucks instant coffee and non-refrigerated 1/2 & 1/2. Marg's bringing her art kit because she intends on doing small hand drawn art work representing the trip, and I have my iPad to do the nightly journal.

Seriously? This is everything we need? Surely there is something we've forgotten.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aerial view of the gear, minus one bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hardest part is saying goodbye to the animals. The cats are both veterans of the "goodbye" procedure. It's not too daunting for them. They get to stay home and Joanie comes to make a daily visit to feed them, scoop the litter boxes and do a general welfare check. Joanie is great because she hangs out with them a bit and does some head scratching and fur brushing.

Who wouldn't feel guilty about dropping this guy in the kennel?
Heart 0 Comment 0

For Dexter this trip is a bit more of a bummer. He is bound for Forest Ridge Kennel in about an hour, and he's been around long enough to know what it means when gear is being organized, bags are being packed and Marg and I are doing all the frenzied back-and-forth of the "getting ready to leave" ritual. He's hoping for the best, but his body language says "Oh, sh*t, seriously, am I going to the kennel?" Forest Ridge treats their lodgers like kings and queens, but he's not thrilled. We feel massively guilty, and Dexter is taking one for the team.

But we are psyched! There's nothing like heading off to an adventure and seeing what happens and who we meet. Thanks to all of you willing read this journal.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0