So What About That Ride? - Steel City to Trumptown - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2019

So What About That Ride?

Indeed ... what do I think about this ride anyway? Here's my/our reflections after getting home and thinking it over.

1. Every cycle tourist probably needs to do this ride. It's iconic. It's a box that must be checked. But rest assured, there is a good chance that the C&O will be "Type 2" fun. Someone filled us in about this fun rating system: Type 1 fun is when it is fun while you are doing it, and fun when you talk about it later. Type 2 it really isn't fun while you're doing it, but was a hoot when you tell everyone about it later. Type 3 fun is when it's absolutely NOT fun during, or later. The C&O was type 2 fun. Or at least type 1.8 fun. So, gird your loins for the C&O, especially if it has rained much 3-4 days before you are on it.

2. Do NOT consider riding it on anything less than 28 mm tires. That's what I was rolling on my tour bike and that was pushing the envelope. Marg had 32 mm and she was fine, even blasting through the slop and mud puddles.

3. Man ... hats off to you if you are going to camp, but we were really pleased that we had lodging arranged every night. This is especially true on the C&O. Most of the hiker/biker campsites we saw on the C&O were sad little outposts located in low areas and troughs that were natural water collecters. Any kind of heavy rain would channel that water straight toward your tent no matter how hard you tried to avoid it. Add healthy amounts of mosquitoes, port-o-potties of dubious background, and no easy locations to buy food and you have another layer of challenge to make camping work for you.

4. Double check the national park service website for detours and closures on the C&O. They seem to be common, and being unaware of them could lead to some unpleasant surprises.

5. Which direction to go? I think it is a toss-up and hinges on what kind of poison you prefer to drink first. Heading from Pittsburgh to DC puts you on the GAP trail first and it's a nice break-in to the ride. The GAP is well maintained and can hold moisture and rain well and still give you a great ride. Not sure we have a preference, but it was fun to finish in DC and at the C&O trails "Mile 0" stone.

6. Check your brakes before you go ; - ) Even if you think they are in great shape.

7. Plan to spend a couple days in DC or Pittsburgh at the end of your ride. They are both super interesting cities and have so much to see. Again, you MUST go check out the Bicycle Heaven bike museum in Pittsburgh.

8. But, above all ... go do it. One way or the other you will have some excellent stories to tell when you get home.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0