Aulac to Moncton - The Andersons at one - CycleBlaze

July 2, 1989

Aulac to Moncton

(Rachael) After coughing most of the night, Scott woke up with a full-fledged cold.  After eating a hearty breakfast we decided to try to make it to Moncton, where we would stay at a B&B and see how Scott feels tomorrow before deciding what action to take - whether to continue biking or go to a hospital and get some medication.

We biked to the tourist center a mile or so away and made reservations at an inn in Moncton, about 35 or 40 miles off.  As we started to leave though, I realized I had another flat tire.  Unfortunately it was starting to rain so we found a trailer from a semi-truck and Scott changed the tir beneath it.  We then headed off to Sackville, about five miles away, where we stopped for coffee and hoped that the rain would cease.

Flattened in Moncton
Heart 0 Comment 0

About a half hour later the rain had nearly stopped, so we headed out again hoping to make it to at least the next town before it started raining hard.  We stopped at a store on the way out of town to buy some cold medications for Scott, but then he realized he had left one of his panniers (the one with our plane tickets and travelers checks) back at the coffee shop,, so we went back to get it.  It was still on the sidewalk where he had left it.  We sure are lucky!

The rain began to pick up again, and we were really looking forward to stop in Dorcester (eight miles away) to get a break from it, but somehow we ended up missing the main part of town.  We ended up going another six miles and stopping at a convenience store to escape the rain.  Our lunch consisted of ice cream and coffee.

We then continued on another 19 miles to Moncton, without a break.  It rained the   We found our inn, McCarthy's Bed and Breakfast, and were given a very warm welcome.  The host made some hot coffee and gave us some cookies and fruit.  He also let us use the clothes drier and lent us a hair dryer. 

It sure felt great to be out of the rain!  The B&B wasn't as fancy as some others, but the reception we received made us feel very much at home.   We decided whether to go out to a restaurant or to order in food, but decided we weren't terribly hungry and didn't feel like going bck out with wet shoes; so we ate what was left of our food: one and a half bagels, a little peanut butter, cantaloupe and raisins.  At about 9 Scott made a trip to the store for cough medicine and also got pop, milk and a small bag of chips.  Soon after that we turned in for the night.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 859 miles (1,382 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0