Pecking Order of Transportation - 2022 Spring Forward While We Can - CycleBlaze

Pecking Order of Transportation

One thing that varies between metro areas and countries is the pecking order of transportation -- who has the automatic right of way, right to indignation, etc. 

In Amsterdam/Netherlands: Cargo bikes, bikes, pedestrians, cars

In Bavaria/Germany: Pedestrians, public transit, bikes, cargo bikes, cars

In Innsbruck/Austria: Public transit, pedestrians with ski gear esp boots, cars, pedestrians, bikes

In Northern Italy: Taxis, pedestrians (esp. with strollers), bikes, cars

In US: Pickup trucks, SUVs, cars, dogs, pedestrians, bikes

Please add to the list!

Where do electric scooters (e.g., push scooter that has been electrified) go? In Bavaria they are everywhere partially because of rental app platform. We haven‘t seen many since then. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Suzanne GibsonLove this! I agree with your pecking order for Bavaria, and if you add public transportation, I would put them before cars, occasionally before bikes. They assume the right-of-way and I give it to them, I'm not going to argue with a bus driver!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekAgreed yet in Bavaria, if a bike is in the proper bike lane, buses don‘t seem to assume that the cyclist should get out of the way. We live near a reasonably busy intersection and each morning I watch bikes fly down a slight hill, through the intersection and never look at the cars or buses turning right. It caused me great anxiety at first — many were cargo bikes with kids in front — until I saw that the drivers were actually looking at the bike lane occupants. (Maybe I should check accident records on this before basing my actions on observational data only...) In the US this practice would be crazy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonInteresting concept! You definitely got the US right.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsOn the C&O Canal towpath: Horses, hikers/walkers, bikes

In Pakistan, it seemed to be: whoever could occupy a space first. Need to pass a slow-moving vehicle or foot traffic? Pull into the "lane" (I use the term very loosely) of oncoming traffic. If there's an oncoming vehicle honk and flash your lights to alert them that they need to get out of your way. Railway gate blocking traffic? Everyone mobs the gate on both sides, all across the roadway's width and perhaps beyond. When the gate rises it's reminiscent of a rugby scrum or US football scrimmage, as all parties rush to fill the void.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekExcellent! The addition of horses is one we never thought of.

Pakistan approach is a first-on-the-spot, motors don‘t get priority?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago