To Alhama de Granada - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 29, 2023

To Alhama de Granada

Back up into la tierra

All the cold weather gear comes out this morning. It's in the 50s, the coolest start yet. We're confused about the time. Our watches say it's 9:00, our phones says it's 8:00, and it's a good while before the penny drops. Daylight Savings Time has ended, giving us an extra hour in the day. That's a good thing because we have a long ride up today.

The bags are fully loaded, still, until the post office opens up again Monday
Heart 3 Comment 2
Mike AylingThat's a wide load!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Mike AylingIt really is. I've clipped a few things with the piggyback bag on the right, never enough to take me down though.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

On the way out of Granada we discover there actually are bike paths here, making for an easy exit on this quiet Sunday morning. The paths continue out of the city for miles, leading us through small towns to the service road by the A-92 AutoVia. Then we're on a mix of pavement and gravel, mostly level for the first half of the trip, and the miles roll by.

Deluxe bike path, next to an empty road that looks fine too. An excellent start.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Belicena, the west-bound bike lane runs down the middle of the road, well clear of the door zone. How I'd love to see this at home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Near Chauchina, trees muffle the highway noise to our left and we have this peaceful scene to meditate on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunday morning club riders are out in force in Lachar
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lachar clock tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
The service road gets a little more rugged after it shifts over to the south side of the highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At mile 25 we turn south away from the autovia and stop for lunch by the A-402, the road we'll be on for the rest of the day. The work starts now on a long ascent to Alhama de Granada. I wasn't sure how this road would be but it's a good one - light traffic and a nice shoulder. Maybe the 3-digit A roads will be generally good for biking in Andalucia. We shall see. 

Mountains are all around us but the climb is mostly gradual.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Olive groves
Heart 3 Comment 0
To the west, the Sierra Nevada mountains
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fall colors light up the landscape
Heart 5 Comment 0

The climb of the day starts near the end, a four mile ascent to Alhama de Granada. Most of it is moderate until we have a wall to climb in the city.

This the first real test of the new saddle that I picked up on our last day in Mallorca. What a difference. No squirming.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I like the bronze foliage in the late afternoon autumn sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crops on the hillsides remind me of the Moorish tile patterns we see everywhere.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonOh my gosh. I really love this country. It’s mesmerizing biking past these groves, watching the patterns slowly change. We biked this segment in the other direction, ending in Granada, in mid-November. It was getting quite cold already.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonI'm sure the cold will catch up with us eventually. We've really been fortunate so far.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Alhama de Granada
Heart 1 Comment 0
A long slow push up this street and the next one
Heart 1 Comment 0
Possibly Scarlet Firethorn
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it.

Yummy snack!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltDidn't know that, I'll have to give it a try next time.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The apex of our route for the day
Heart 2 Comment 0

Even with the long climbs, it's been a very enjoyable ride, capped off by a two mile drop to the Hotel Los Canos de la Alcaiceria. This is the first place we've stayed with half board included - breakfast and dinner. We're looking forward to an easy night with no hunt for sustenance. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Upon landing, Felipe, our host and bartender, shows us where to park the bikes, then picks up my bag and escorts us to our room. I think this might be only the second time this trip that a host has taken the time to help us get settled. 

There are a few hiccups that Felipe handles as well as anyone can. Our chilly room has no controls for adjusting the temperature. There are no English speakers here, the hotel wifi isn't working and our phones have no service so my Google Translate crutch is no help for communicating about the problem. I remember the word for cold - frio - and appeal to him with shivering motions. He brings us a space heater and assures us they are working to "reparar" the wifi. 

Later at dinner Felipe finds us in the dining room and asks for our phones to get them connected. He and our server are both so sweet and eager to please. It counts for a lot in my book.

Hams hang over the bar in the hotel restaurant
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our ever-cheerful host, Felipe
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow we'll have almost the same distance to cover but it's almost all downhill, back to the Mediterranean and on to Malaga. Should be fun.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today: 46 miles, 3287 feet of ascent

For the tour: 652 miles, 42458 feet of ascent

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 662 miles (1,065 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0