Ljubljana: A photo gallery - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2023

Ljubljana: A photo gallery

Friday we saddled up for our last long bus ride to Slovenia. We spent the afternoon in the capital, Ljubljana, gawking at the art and architecture. it's a great place for people-watching too. In the interest of catching up here, there are no long stories today, just a look at a few scenes in this beautiful city.

Barry and I had a great view of the scene from the front of the bus. Roc said there's a bike path that runs under the deck of the bridge coming up. Sounds like a nice vantage point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Ljubljana, we walked to Prešeren Square, named for the Slovene national poet France Prešeren.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Statue of France Preseren, wiith a naked muse above him that scandalized the church folk when it was unveiled in 1905.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Franciscan Church of the Annunciation, a pink landmark in Prešeren Square
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Triple Bridge, one of the many public spaces in Ljubljana designed by the architect Joze Plecnik
Heart 3 Comment 0
Besides bridges and buildings, Plecnik designed the embankments and landscaping around the city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Architect Ivan Virnik wanted to invent a new national style using folk motifs for the Cooperative Bank building, but it remains one of a kind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Dragon Bridge. Legend has it that Jason of Greek mythology slayed a dragon when he and the Argonauts came through here on their way home with the Golden Fleece.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A picture of shame - Adam and Eve, banished from Paradise
Heart 1 Comment 0
Created for Pope John Paull II's visit to Ljubljana in 1996, the door to St. Nicholas Cathedral tells a story of Slovenia from the Romans to the Crusades and the rise and fall of communism.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dried herbs at the riverside market
Heart 1 Comment 0
These flowers at the riverside are bred to create dried arrangements
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decor idea for my porch
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm ok with that
Heart 0 Comment 0
After our guided tour we walked over "the" Skyscraper for a 360 degree view of the city, including the castle on the hill. We rode the elevator up to the 12th floor for the price of a drink.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pete, Ginny, Heidi and John on the terrace at the Skyscraper, a nice place to chill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A look at one of the great bike paths of Ljubljana on our way to the last stop on the tour: Lake Bled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0