Lake Bled: Last chance for romance in the Heart of Europe - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2023

Lake Bled: Last chance for romance in the Heart of Europe

Our last morning with the tour group started with a boat ride across serene Lake Bled to a small island, the only island in Slovenia. We rode in a pletna, a beautiful flat-bottomed wooden boat. The pletnas have been hand-built for generations going back to the Hapsburg empire. With no keel it's a bit tippy so we followed their protocol for loading and unloading where one person moves at a time, alternating sides. On our way across the lake we could see the colors of the leaves starting to change here in the Julian Alps.

Our burly oarsman is the fourth generation in his family to row passengers on the pletna to the island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On a cliff across the lake stands a 1,000 year old castle
Heart 3 Comment 0
99 steps lead up from the dock to the little Church of the Mother of God on the Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church and bell tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church is a popular wedding spot. We think the couple standing in front of the gilded rococo altar in traditional costume was celebrating an anniversary.
Heart 1 Comment 0
To the right of the altar, an unusual scene for a church: the circumcision of Christ.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Peaceful spot for meditation. I like the star-flower motif.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We climbed the steps of the bell tower to see the guts of the 19th century pendulum clock. There's that star pattern again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking up in the bell tower
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry with Lori and Mel on the path around the island, which you can cover in about five minutes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Annelie and Sylvia on the ride back
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Mary Fran and Terry
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had the afternoon free for one more bike ride, on another route suggested by Scott. This one was a spectacular trip along the Radovna River into Trigalv National Park. We had to shorten it for the time available, but there was plenty of beauty. The bikes were the nicest rentals yet on this trip. 

Mountain bikes again, but these are really nice ones with a much better padded saddle, no adjustments needed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode a sweet bike path out of the town of Bled towards the mountains.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Near Krnica
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode by the crystal clear waters of the Radovna river. There were few cars on the road, and more cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These sheep might have been spooked by my neon pink jacket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It does show up pretty well.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow! Electric!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Remains of the Smolej farmhouse. The Germans burned it down in 1944 along with other houses in the hamlet of Srednja Radovna, killing 24 innocent people.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A trough diverted from the river fed a water wheel for purposes unknown to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We thought we might find a place to buy a sandwhich for a quick lunch, but I can make do with homemade ice cream.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ice cream is served up by a woman on a dairy farm, who invited us to sit in the barn while we ate.
Heart 3 Comment 0

S

Ready to get back on the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed some trees that looked like they blew down in a windstorm. This looks like a larger logging operation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding into Trigalv National Park. Already we feel like this is the best ride of the trip. Just beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The hill up to the highest point on the route has a sign indicating an 18% grade. We rode up to the top for the view and turned around at that point.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our reward for the climb
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our view on a little loop that we rode down towards the road back to Bled. This is definitely the ride of the trip so far. Worth repeating and going farther next time.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A sign by the road tells the legend of the "Fat Stone" that rolled down from the slopes of the Mežakla plateau a long time ago. One day a man heard a terrible noise and turned to see a huge snake slithering down the slope, waving its tail. The snake dislodged rocks that in turn moved a fat stone. It rolled to a stop at the roadside. The snake disappeared into the river, but the stone still sits by the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Could this be the Fat Stone? That must have been some snake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw a number of these racks in the fields and speculated they might be used for drying hay?
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonMaybe. Also definitely for corn though.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Ginny and Pete DarbyTo Scott AndersonI read about these unique structures. Apparently, they were used for drying hay. So much rain in the region required the farmers to build the racks with the little roof. Guidebook said they were the subject of souvenirs; I looked for one but couldn’t even find a refrigerator magnet!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Ginny and Pete DarbyIt was in the guidebook! How about that. Good for you for reading it. I didn't get through it all what with all the trip preparations, busy days and the journal.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Riding back down towards Bled the view is completely different. We didn't appreciate what was behind us on the way up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost back to Bled we stopped by a park to watch some kids bobbing up and down on the pump track
Heart 1 Comment 0

The evening was devoted to a farewell dinner with our tour companions. They're a fun group of people; we would love to travel with them again, although I might look for one without so many long bus days next time. Peter was an awesome guide, and veterans of other Rick Steves tours testified that this was the best one they've been on yet. It was extremely well organized and a nice balance of group activities and free time. We'll miss this bunch, but at the same time, we're looking forward to running our own show for the next phase of the trip.

Accolades for Peter at our last gathering
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today: 26 miles, 2113' ascent 
For the tour: 143 miles, 7420' ascent

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 143 miles (230 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0