In Prague: Tour life - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2023 to September 18, 2023

In Prague: Tour life

While I thought about journaling mostly on bike days during our two weeks in Central Europe, we also want to remember the group tour experience, so let's catch up.

We signed up for this tour on the recommendation of our friends Terry and Mary Fran. Sunday we met up with them for a stroll through the city. Our walk retraced part of the journey Barry and Terry made in 1971 when they were here as college students. 

52 years after their first visit here, Barry and Terry celebrate their return to Old Town in front of the monument to Master Jan Hus, the medieval Czech philosopher and Roman Catholic priest. Hus' criticisms of the moral decline of the Church and preaching on the philosophy of English reformer John Wycliffe led to his excommunication and death by burning at the stake in 1415. Harsh, but not surprising.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charles IV, the Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor in the 14th Century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
15th Century Astronomical clock at the Old Town Hall tells the time and the current zodiac sign. Every hour as the clock chimes, the 12 apostles shuffle by the two blue windows above the clock face.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Powder Tower city gate
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mary Fran and Terry on the Charles Bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

Across the Vltava River in New Town we killed some time at U Fleku brewery, a 500 year old establishment that the guys patronized in 1971. Atmosphere and music were jovial as the locals sang along.

Furthering our beer education at U Fleku. Czech people consume the most beer per capita of any country in the world.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At 3 pm it was time to meet our "merry band of fellow travelers."  Our guide, Peter Polczman, grew up in Hungary where life in a communist dictatorship before 1989 was not quite as oppressive as in other countries in the former Eastern Bloc. He watched Tom & Jerry and Magilla Gorilla as a kid, two of my favorites.

Peter shares the "militant optimism" philosophy of the Rick Steves tour organization, a call to flexibility and open-mindedness. "If something is not to your liking, change your liking."
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenI love that attitude!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We learned that the countries we'll visit are now considered to be in Central Europe, rather than Eastern Europe, as the guide book is titled, so I have updated my terminology in the previous post. Most people we'll meet speak English as well as Czech and other Slavic languages, but it's nice to get some help on how to say the pleasantries here - Good day (Dobry den), please (prosim) thank you (dekuji) and Cheers! (Na zdravi!)

I heard the group size of 27 is low compared to a lot of other tours. It seems like a lot of people to me but we don't have any experience to go on. Most are from the U.S. except for two from South Africa, and have been on one of these RS tours before. Seems like a friendly, laid-back bunch.

After orientation we headed out for another stroll through Old Town and over the bridge for a traditional Czech meal at Plny Pekac in New Town. The beef was tender and tasty, the dumplings a little on the sweet side but not bad.

Back we go over the Charles Bridge for dinner
Heart 7 Comment 0
Entertaining folk music before dinner
Heart 1 Comment 0
One more peak at the Tyn Church spires at night, a good landmark for finding our way back to the hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Monday

Early Monday morning we take the subway and a tram to meet local guide Jana Hronkova for an early walk through the Prague Castle complex. It's a good place to work on my sketchy knowledge of architectural styles.

Jana points out the symmetry, geometry and figures etched into the concrete that are typical of Renaissance style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Vitus Cathedral, the national church where Kings were crowned. Pointed arches, soaring heights and ornate decoration are typical of Gothic architecture.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rib vaults support the high ceilings of St. Vitus.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This gorgeous stained glass window by Alfons Mucha in the cathedral floods the side wall with color
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Basilica of St. George at the Castle
Heart 2 Comment 0
Massive walls and rounded arches showcase the Romanesque interior of the Basilica
Heart 2 Comment 0

There's much more to see here, and Jana's interpretation is information dense, with more detail and history than I can absorb. At 3+ hours I'm hitting my limit for walking and standing. Could be some residual jet lag is in play too. The afternoon is open and we had thought about fitting in a ride, but it's getting hot and a nice long lunch in the shade sounds better at this point. Looks like the next ride will have to be in Krakow on Thursday. At least we're getting our steps in.

Chilling out over lunch back in Old Town with Terry and Mary Fran
Heart 1 Comment 0

So far I give this tour outfit high marks for organization and quality. The Hotel Metamorphis is in a great location, our room is palatial and there are plenty of choices at the breakfast spread. Peter keeps things running on schedule and makes sure we have tickets, information, breaks, batteries for the audio headsets, and guidance on whatever we might be looking for. 

Lunch and a nap recharge us for another treat in the evening - a concert of the Dvorak Symphony Orchestra Prague at Smetana Hall with soloists from the National Theater Opera. 

Smetana Hall in the Municipal House, a stunning 20th Century Art Nouveau building where the documents of the new Czechoslovak Republic were signed in 1918.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenIt all sounds amazing. We are so glad you are keeping up the blog for this part. It is a great way for you to remember once you are home for one thing…otherwise it all becomes a blur. And we are really enjoying reading about it.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonType your comment here
Reply to this comment
7 months ago