Córdoba ride - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2023

Córdoba ride

 We're having a laid-back morning, waiting for the sun to warm things up before we take off on today's ride. I found another route on RidewithGPS that will take us into the Sierra Morena north of Cordoba. Around 11 we head out across the river to skirt around the cobblestones of the old city, pick up the bike path west along the river, then cross back north towards the mountains.

Great bike lanes in Cordoba
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hospital looks like a Borg cube to me, especially if you paint it black.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraLove the Star Trek Next Generation reference!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
On an empty road out of town, I can just make out some sort of castle or church ahead in the Sierra Morenas.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Around mile 5 we leave Cordoba on a road that seems to be headed towards that castle we saw further back. Could be a church or a villa, I'm not sure what. It's just nice to have a target to shoot for. The day has warmed up well into the 70s already as we start up the switchbacks.

The mystery castle beckons
Heart 3 Comment 0
Appreciating the cool shade by the bank as I chug up the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back towards Cordoba
Heart 4 Comment 0

At mile 10 where the route turns east, another road goes the other way, west to Santa Maria de Trassierra. It's just 3 miles to the town, which is known for beautiful hiking trails, vacation homes and the birthplace of Beatriz Enriquez de Arana, mistress of Christopher Columbus. Hmm, maybe that castle is somewhere down this road. If nothing else, we should be able to find lunch there.

At the entrance to Santa Maria de Trassierra
Heart 2 Comment 0
A restaurante of days gone by
Heart 1 Comment 0
The parish church of Santa Maria de Trassierra
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsQuite a modest structure, by European / Catholic standards.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsYes, actually a refresshing change to see this small country parish church after all the grand mosques and cathedrals.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
We're enjoying the fall colors here. I expect most of the leaves will have fallen at home by the time we get back next week.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We never did see the castle, but found a nice place for lunch in the courtyard at Restaurante El Candil
Heart 2 Comment 0
A couple of Cordoba specialties: Flamenquin - A deep fried pork and ham roll, and Salmorejo - a cold creamy tomato-base soup with ham and eggs. Thumbs up to both.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike AylingThe soup looks good but I will pass on the snag and chips!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Mike AylingI'll grant you it's not a pretty picture, but it was tasty.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

Back on the route, we're on a lovely lonely road with just a few cars and cyclists out here with us. The road goes up a succession of peaks to the high point at 1500 feet above the city.

These signs always make me feel like we're in the right place.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Above Cordoba on the left is Las Ermitas, in an area known as a retreat for hermits since the Middle Ages
Heart 7 Comment 3
Scott AndersonFantastic. We’ve never biked up in that direction.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Keith AdamsLooks like the view might've been worth the climb.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsI bet it would have Keith. We wimped out on the extra out-and-back to Las Ermitas. The views of the city on the way down were plenty entertaining as it was.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
As usual, Barry spares the brakes on the descent. It's a fast ride down on a steeper grade than the way up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a terrific ride
Heart 7 Comment 0
Almost home, in Jardines de la Agricultura
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the end there's an extended search for gelato, riding hither and yon on cobblestones. The first three places we try are closed for the season. A fourth is open but only serves ice cream in the summer.

Up and down the lanes on the hunt for gelato
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Then Barry spies a place that Google Maps doesn't know about. Success!

New flavor - Tarta de la Abuela, based on the "Grandma cake" made with chocolate, pastry cream and cinnamon. Winner.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Betsy EvansI’m having trouble finding gelato in southern Italy. Almost all the shops are closed for the season. ☹️
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Betsy EvansI was so surprised Betsy. The weather is still nice and there are crowds in the streets. We resorted to the grocery store for a fix a few times.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’m glad you found some ice cream.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today: 31 miles, 2821 feet of ascent

For the tour: 948 miles, 61,843 feet of ascent

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 948 miles (1,526 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0