Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2022

Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias

I really enjoyed the simple albergue in which we stayed last night.  The hostalera was a lovely engaging lady who firmly and pleasantly applied the rules on the albergue.  She woke us all up at six thirty this morning and filled the albergue with sound of monks chanting.  Then she made sure we were all fed a simple breakfast before kicking us out at eight o'clock.

Photo taken by the hostalera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down the main street - the meson where we ate last night is the first building on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking up the street.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it was an hour and a half of hard work covering the steepest section of what remained of the climb.

Heart 0 Comment 0
I hate walking my bike but today I walked two sections of the climb.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lost in translation. It should read "Steep hill for 15Km"
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once the worst of the climb was over we had some small rollers until we reached the highest point of the Ruta Frances, even higher than where it crosses the Pyrenees.  An iron cross has been erected here.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Photo taken by a Spanish cycle tourist who had a whole lot of questions about our bikes and gear - all in Spanish so I hope he understood my replies because I certainly didn't understand all his questions.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, we were here three years ago! I hadn’t recognized the route and climb until this point. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2019/astorga/#18770_cthg20ifrb55b85f60ep4k4ede2.

Happy birthday! Enjoy Astorga. It’s a great town.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonHi Scott. We skipped Astorga (and its chocolate factory that Leigh wanted to visit) and ended the day a bit further east on the way to Leon. There is a Polish lass staying at the same albergue as us who also did the whole climb from Ponferrada in one go although she has the advantage of youth and a light-weight bikepacking setup on her side.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

From here it was mostly downhill to Astorga where we had a stop to buy empenades for lunch and get slightly lost adding about five kilometers on to our distance for the day.

It's my birthday tomorrow we for the next three nights we will be staying out of dormitories.  Tonight we have a nice room in an upmarket albergue about eleven kilometers east of Astorga while the next two nights will be spent in an apartment in Leon.  I am looking forward to a rest day.

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,821 km (1,131 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0