El Acebo de San Miguel - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2022

El Acebo de San Miguel

Another short day that really took it out of us.  Only about seven hundred and fifty meters of climbing but almost all of it over the last twelve kilometers.  

First stop was a cursory look at the somewhat disappointing Castillo de los Templarios in Ponferrada.  We arrived there a bit before opening time and we couldn't be hacked to wait and go inside.  Just as well as it turned out because we would need every bit of energy to get to El Acebo.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once out of Ponferrada we had a climb and dip to the touristy town of Molinaseca before heading up the hill to El Alcebo - Google and Komoot showed more than five hundred of climbing with zero meters descent over about eight kilometers.  I think the mild colds we had earlier in the week are still playing a roll because we found it hard work.,

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was suprised to see, amongst others, the South African flag flying as we approached El Alcebo at the new, very modern and apparently upscale albergue.  We chose to stay at the tiny albergue run by the local parish - housed in an ancient stone building with payment by donation and manned by volunteers, it is as close as we can get to the traditions of the Camino.  A comfortable bed had me catching an hour or so of sleep after we got cleaned up.

Heart 0 Comment 0

El Alcebo is a one street town but the local meson served up a good Menu del Peregrino.  I am heading to bed with a tummy full of simple food and local red wine that was part of the deal.  Tomorrow lies a few more hundred meters of tough climbing before we descend to Astorga.  There is nearly five hundred meters of ascent in the first five kilometers so I see some walking in our future. 

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,763 km (1,095 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0