Montamarta - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2022

Montamarta

Last nights supper was a communal affair, different from the few other pilgrims menus we have had in that there was more than enough of food.  It also included some really good wines, both white and red.  We went to bed slightly fuller than we expected.

We had a rather uneventful and uninteresting ride today as we made our way northwards on the N-630.  Lot's of rape seed fields to brighten the countryside but not much else.  What has been surprising is the lack of vineyards when there have been so many villages through which we have passed called Something-or-other del Vino.

One of the few vineyards we saw today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of rape.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even more rape.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The little city of Zamora was a sudden change from the quiet N-630.  Very ibusy and full of traffic.  We found a large Carrefour and stocked up on some essentials, in particular some more Rooibos tea for Leigh.

The Deuro River (Douro in Portugal) on the southern side of Zamora. Five days ago we crossed the Tagus, the other major river on the Iberian peninsular,
Heart 1 Comment 0
This female Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) joined us for lunch at the Carrefour. We had a croissant, she had crumbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our digs for the night is at an inn in the tiny settlement of Montamarta.  We have the use of a washing machine so we are catching up on our laundry.  Its another day on the N-630 tomorrow so there's not that much to look forward to.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,137 km (706 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0