Aceuchal - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2022

Aceuchal

The Albergue van Gogh in Zafra is located in a lovely old building but is not the best place for a good night's sleep.  So it was good to get back on the road again this morning.  Semana Santa has made finding accommodation very difficult and the albergues between here and Merida appear to be fully booked.  Because of the Easter Weekend we could only get accommodation in Merida from Sunday onwards.  It is an old Roman city so we have booked three nights in an apartment there.  That means we had a day to spare and the only digs we could find was a hotel in Acuechal, some way off the Via de la Plata.

It was mostly a very pleasant ride. The problem with pleasant rides is that my brain switches off and twice I lead us off the route adding about five kilometers to the day's distance.  It was a short day so it didn't matter.

Once again through vineyards, olive groves and fields of wheat and oats.
Heart 3 Comment 0
But we had the road pretty much to ourselves for most of the way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Villalba de los Barros, four kilometers before Aceuchal, has an imposing old fort but the village itself wasn't much to look at.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aceuchal bills itself as the garlic capital of the Extremadura region.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hotel is large and, strangely enough, empty while every other town seems booked out.  I can only assume it is mostly used by business travelers.  We had an enormous late lunch at about four o'clock and we are heading to bed without any need for supper.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 702 km (436 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0