Zafra - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 15, 2022

Zafra

Once again we got going in lovely cycling weather.  It was sunny and breathless and not too chilly.  The wind did appear, from the north again, soon after ten thirty but it was such a short day it hardly mattered.

Image not found :(
Calzadilla de los Barros might have been small but it had an impressive street map displayed at the entrance to the village.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a couple of kilometers on the 630 we brnached off onto the track that the walking pilgrims follow.  A bit rough at times with the occasional wet patch to negociate but nonetheless it was an enjoyable ride to Puebla de Sancho Pérez, about fourteen kilometers from Calzadilla de los Barros.

Dry
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wet
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wetter
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonYou two DO know how to have fun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonWhat we do know is how to get ourselves into situations we didn't think we would experience.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The ride took us through fields of wheat and oats, olive groves and vineyards.  All very agricultural but relaxing and easy on the eye.  Too much of it would get a bit boring though.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards just starting to bud after their winter snooze.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Young olive canes with tubes to protect them from frost.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Occasionally some wild flowers invaded the man made fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Puebla de Sancho Pérez is a pretty little village a couple of kilometers south of Zafra.  The Parroquia De Santa Lucia is a church built in the sixteenth century on the site of a mosque.  We stopped in to admire the floats that they have used in Semana Santa, one for each day of the week.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it was a quick hop to Zafra.  Despite taking our time on the ride it was barely eleven thirty and we weren't hopeful that we would be allowed into the Albergue Van Gogh, about the only accommodation available for miles around due to this being the Easter Weekend.  There was a bit of hesitancy on the part of Antonio, the owner, but once in we had a cold shower (no hot water available) and got our laundry done.  Then we headed to an eatery close by where we had a good lunch followed by a walk around the rather pretty town.  Our biggest challenge is that every single shop is closed up for the weekend although some may open tomorrow morning.  To complicate matters the kitchen at the Albergue is currently off limits so the only sources of food are the many bars and restaurants which have been doing good business on Good Friday.

A little after eight o'clock we wandered out to look at the town's  Easter procession.  Similar to what we saw in Sevilla but a lot smaller and somewhat simpler.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 664 km (412 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0