La Molène to Florac - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2023

La Molène to Florac

A Ride in Two Parts

Heart 0 Comment 0

We loved our stay in La Molène. A tiny but beautiful village. It was cool this morning when we woke up. It was also foggy. We lingered over coffee and getting ready.  The happy result was warmer temperatures and clear blue sky when we started out. We had a short day planned as there isn’t a great deal of accommodation on this route, especially so late in the season and with a big hill out of Florac we felt all the way to Meyrueis in one day would be a bit of a stretch. 


View out the breakfast room window this morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Part of the breakfast area.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Such a unique place to stay.
Heart 5 Comment 0

It was so beautiful and so quiet when we began. It wasn’t a case of light traffic, it was no traffic. We could listen to the birds, stop anywhere that we wanted and it was absolutely unbelievable to have it all to ourselves. 


Another perfect day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
This was interesting as Hauterives describes itself as a village in peril. There is no road access so most goods were brought in by cable car. From what I could gather on the internet, when that system became inoperable there was no political will to fix it, and the village is, well, in peril.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The broken cable system.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonDo you know how recently it was broken? I didn’t notice this last year.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenI took pictures of the information they had next to the road and did a little Google Translate. It has been broken since 2017, and was to be repaired, but as there are no permanent residents the municipality decided not to spend the money. It is the only way to bring in large materials for repairs evidently. Also (according to the sign) the place has many hikers come through who are leaving evidence of their activities behind and there is no way to deal with that either. I imagine, but this is a guess, that it is unhappy owners of second homes who have named it ‘a village in peril’. Certainly, IF my assumptions are correct, their investment is in peril.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonKeith suggests we CycleBlaze types should buy the town, acquire a barge and run cycle tours up and down the Tarn. You first 😂.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
What a landscape.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Evidently some Cycleblaze members have stayed here.
Heart 5 Comment 0
It would be pretty dreamy!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
What a ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stunning road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We were the traffic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
This house is for sale should anyone be looking.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped for a picnic lunch in St. Énimie after stocking up at the local Fromagerie.  We sat at the edge of the river and soaked up the sunshine. We have seen the forecast and we won’t be enjoying these hot days much longer. 

Our lunch view.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped again at a sweet spot at the side of the road for a cold drink and a view of ancient chateaus across the river. 

Our hydration reflection.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our view from the terrace.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The scenery started to change and in the second part of the ride the views were still ever so beautiful, but less jaw dropping. This did help our pace of travel somewhat. It took us a couple of  hours to go the first twenty km because of picture taking and view gazing. We did the last twenty plus in half the time. 

The views weren’t shabby.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we reached Ispagnac the traffic picked up somewhat, and we were routed onto an N Road. It was never very busy, just more traffic than we have had to deal with for days. We were stopped at a viewpoint along here when two young people touring went by, Keith suggested we follow the young people and we did. That really made drivers pay attention!   Four bikes with bags to go around. We turned right into Florac and they carried on, so it was a wave and we were on our way to our hotel. 

Sleepyheads.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another short day tomorrow with a big climb to start the day. Time to get our beauty sleep in preparation. 

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 959 km (596 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonThis has to be one of the best rides in France. You sure got a spectacular day for it.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Carol DunlopWhat a stunning ride!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Anne MathersHow amazing that you had the whole place to yourselves and glorious sunshine, too. Sheesh, it doesn’t get much better than that.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago