Stay day in Carmona - Southern Spain and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 23, 2017

Stay day in Carmona

Just as Sunday isn't a great day to buy groceries, Monday isn't a great day for sightseeing. A lot of museums and historical sites are closed. I didn't get to the Roman Necropolis for that reason, but I was able to see the castle at the Seville Gate and the municipal museum.

The castle, or the alcazar, dates back to the 14th century BC and was rebuilt and expanded over the years. The Romans made some changes, and Caesar declared that it made Carmona the most defensible town in the region. The castle was restored in 1975. It really feels like an old Roman castle, and it's right in the old town, providing a view over the city.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The municipal museum gives the history of the city from half a million years ago to today. It is one of the longest occupied cities, although it's success ebbed and flowed over the centuries. The museum was worthwhile, but it was only open a few hours and the electricians were working so the lights on some of the exhibits would turn off just as I was looking at them.

Near my hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I don't know how well you can see this, but it is a sign in Carmona that shows the towns of the Ruta de Washington Irving.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the museum I went to a supermarket an picked up some eggs and butter and an onion, then stopped by a panaderia for some bread, and went back to the hotel and cooked some lunch. I also gave my bike a little attention and did some other chores. I went out again for some coffee, and stopped by the tourist information center with some odd questions. Yes, it was okay to go into a cafe or bar when there are only men there. The women are shopping or cooking, and it is the habit of men to meet their friends in the bar. And the real restaurants...they open for dinner at about 9 pm. Tourists can usually find an earlier dinner at a hotel restaurant.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0