Map and commentary - A pictorial journal of the Slumgullion Tour 2010 - CycleBlaze

Map and commentary

I have ridden this tour in Colorado many times. I have the fondest of memories of each trip. Gunnison is one of my favorite Colorado towns, they have managed to keep their country roots without selling their soul. Saguache is a _don't blink or you will miss it_ sort of town. Lorraine at the Big Valley Motel takes excellent care of her customers. Cell phones mostly work in town now. For years we had to mill around in the grocery parking lot, hoping for service. Tradition says to stop at Boogies Diner in Del Norte for a second breakfast before making the climb to Creede. Look for the big buffalo herd on the left, just as you enter Del Norte. They have retail sales, if you care to stop in for buffalo steaks. 

Creede is a bustling mountain town, squashed into a narrow canyon. The fire station is carved into the side of the mountain! Make your motel reservations far in advance here. We like the Snowshoe Lodge. It has changed hands three times in recent years. The current owner seems nice on the phone. We hope to stay there again this summer. 

Eat a big breakfast and fill up your water. This is the day you've been waiting for, the climb over Slumgullion Pass. It's never terrible, but there's plenty of it. Freemon's General Store is partway up the climb. They have excellent burgers. We do not suggest eating one before finishing the climb. Take it to go instead! 

There's a ripping downhill into Lake City. It's twisty turny with sand in the corners. Modulate your speed. Lake City is another Colorado town shoehorned into a narrow canyon. Be sure to get off of the main drag and stroll the back streets. The bakery next to North Face Lodge has a line out the door if you would like a treat in the morning. They have meat filled pastries also. 

Day four into Gunnison feels like a downhill day to start. You roll along with a grin like a dog hanging it's head out the window. But,there are two nasty climbs to remind you that you are indeed in the mountains. You get a final downhill run down to Blue Mesa Reservoir and on into Gunnison. 

If you like climbing, this is your Colorado trip. There aren't as many people down in this corner of the state. It takes a little effort to get here. Most people are vacationing in the mountains closer to Denver. The only place where traffic is a concern is the canyon between Del Norte and Creede. It is the only entry point to the mountains. Try to hit that area in non peak times. 

Jacinto saw a mountain lion on day 1. I saw what I think was a lynx on day 4. There are supposed to be moose on day 3, although we've never seen any. Deer and elk are common. 

If four days is too short, consider the Expanded Slumgullion Tour. 2022 is my 60th birthday summer. I get to choose the route. We are riding the a super version of the Slum - this particular journal might be more than 10 years old, but the route is recommendable right now!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0