Lake City-Gunnison: The Sun God smiles on us today! - A pictorial journal of the Slumgullion Tour 2010 - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2010

Lake City-Gunnison: The Sun God smiles on us today!

The perfect start to any day - downhill along the river in the crisp sunshine. What more could a cyclist want?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's hard to decide what to take a photo of in this area. Just take a photo of everything!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I top off my water bottle on the first climb. We are in the aspen trees again. I always enjoy reaching the aspen tree line. It's a visual validation of my work - I've made it to the aspens! They seem to start growing in our area of Colorado at about 7,500 feet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ginny's new camera also takes nice close up shots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here come a group of the guys. They've just finished the downhill from the first big climb and are starting the second big climb. Why those climbs don't have names, I don't know. They're about 3 miles each and are a rude awakening to Slum tired legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom must like climbing - he looks happy to be starting that second climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Group rest stop - look it's so warm Steve is cycling without a shirt! But he rides a recumbent. Does that mean his chest is brown and his back is white?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's Sara, ready for a quick break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a great view looking back towards Lake City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
TJ seemed a mit tired at the top of the second climb. TJ certainly gave the go fast guys on the tour a run for their money.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think we were all a little loopy with happiness at the top of the second climb. Mike is clowning around here with a roadside find, a duck minus it's stuffing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
TJ uses the duck as a finger puppet to request more Oreos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang's gathering up for the last downhill. It's a fun, extended downhill run into Gunnison.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not only can Sara ride no hands, she can ride no hands uphill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve is ready for the last few miles in the hot, hot sunshine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last rest stop . . . . it's almost time to reenter the real world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving in Gunnison. We stayed at the Day's Inn where they allowed us to take showers without renting the room, $5. per person. Most of us went for the shower rather than smelling our road sweat on the drive home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the riders got to ride through the 'finish line'.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Others got a high five.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclist's legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our celebratory lunch at Mario's in Gunnison. It was time to say goodbye to a great group of new friends. Cyclists are the best people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All of the gang is here - except Ginny who is behind the camera.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 251 miles (404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0