Creede-Lake City: Time to climb the big one! - A pictorial journal of the Slumgullion Tour 2010 - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2010

Creede-Lake City: Time to climb the big one!

Marty spins her easy down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve has the calves needed to do the climbing today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
mmmm, John P has disc brakes - my favorite. An excellent choice for riding down steep passes in Colorado. I know, John C. says brakes will only slow you down - but some of us like our skin where it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see by the slant of the road behind TC she has been working hard - but she's still smiling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jokesters hamming it up on the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of Spring Creek Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wally and TC arrive at the top of Spring Creek Pass. We saw wild strawberry plants flowering all along the road. Wouldn't wild strawberries be a nice treat along the way?
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm sure you've heard of afternoon showers in the mountains. Add a little thunder, lightening, and hail into the mix and it made the ride even more interesting today. Steve was happy he brought his raincoat along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The proportion of the war stories are already growing, can't you tell?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's best to bundle up before the descent - especially a wet one. Marty came prepared with a balaclava. Hopefully he remembers to take it off before doing any banking in town . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only photo of us (Kelly and Jacinto) together this trip. Yeah, you can tell it was on the nippy side at the top of Slumgullion Pass . . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0
TC tells Wally how much warmer her toes were once she put on dry socks. He didn't take her up on the offer of a dry pair of his own.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wally doing the obligatory pass photo thing - he's not too cold or tired to joke around a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many stupendous views on the way down into Lake City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Room assignments are sometimes confusing. We finally found a satisfactory place to stay in Lake City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doesn't Doug have nice clothes on? He was so chilled from the rain/hail on the downhill into Lake City that he stopped at the first clothing store and bought an entire new set of clothes. He started striping right in the store, but came to his senses before removing too many clothes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John C. makes sure Mike's chain is clean. He doesn't want Mike to have any excuses not to be in racing mode in the morning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chips and salsa for an afternoon snack. Oreos were also popular. Tootsie Rolls were a dud. I thought they'd be little energy capsules to pop on the climbs, but no one was interested . . . they were only slightly more popular than Jacinto's favorite energy snack - marshmallows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sara has showered and changed. Now she and TC are off for a little retail therapy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 196 miles (315 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0