Meeting Day: The gang's all here. - Expanded Slumgullion Tour 2009 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2009

Meeting Day: The gang's all here.

We ended up with four riders. Recumbent John from my Lewis and Clark trip from 2005. I had been trying to entice him with descriptions of the Slum for several years - finally our travel plans meshed with his schedule. John could make it!

Then we had three crazy guys (and gal) answer my crazyguy companion wanted list. Ken, Fred, and Moni. All were driving in except for Fred. Of course traveling by plane added some adventure to the day . . . .

Jacinto and I drove to Junction in the truck (the better to transport a bicycle box). We ran several errands, ate lunch, etc. Then I had a call from Fred that his first plane had been delayed, causing him to miss his connection. Momentary panic. We were supposed to work tonight. Could we get two people to work for us? Wait - Moni is in town, relaxing and definitely not driving - having just driven from New Mexico where she was visiting her daughter. Yes, Moni agreed to rescue us. We would leave the truck for Fred with the key hidden under the mat. Moni picked us up in her Mini and got us back to Rifle with 15 minutes to spare before work.

After the movie got going we all walked over to a new Mexican restaurant for a get together dinner. Fred showed up just as we finished. His bicycle made the connecting flight. It was 9:30 PM and he still had to put together his bike, but at least he had it to assemble.

We carpooled the three vehicles that needed parked up to the school bus barn to leave them inside the secured parking. I drove John to the grocery for supplies. We agreed to meet in the morning at 8 AM - a bit difficult for Jacinto. He's the original sleeping in king when he's not driving school bus.

Jacinto and I stayed up until past midnight getting our things assembled and highlighting maps for the riders. Then we had to watch the Rockies game - they won 1-0. It was a fast game and we were in bed before 2 AM - morning did arrive a bit early!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0