Vicenza to Venice - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 1998

Vicenza to Venice

From Vicenza we made a beeline to Venice, where we had booked a room in the Dorsoduro, near the Accademia, for the final three nights of our tour.  We had bicycled to Venice once before, so we came a bit more experienced this time - instead of cycling across the causeway under the foolish idea that we could wheel our bikes over the canal bridges to our hotel, this time we left them stored in Mestre and caught the water taxi.

You don't need me to tell you what Venice is like, or that it's a place people either fall in love with or detest.  We're among the lovers, and had the best of times.  We've been twice now and would be happy to go again.  Highlights for us this time were wandering through its maze of streets after dark on our way to and from a chamber music concert in one of its myriad churches, and a day's outing to Murano and Burano.

At the end of all this we caught the taxi back to Mestre to collect our bikes, cycled north to Marco Polo airport, and somewhat sadly packed our bags for home.  This is the shortest of the overseas tours we've taken so far, but certainly one of the most rewarding - it was the source of some of my favorite travel memories.

Showing off my new jersey on the dash to Venice
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Murano
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Murano
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Murano
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria Della Salute, Venice
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Murano
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Murano
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Venice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basilica of San Donato, Murano
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 613 miles (987 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0