Asolo to Vicenza - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

Asolo to Vicenza

Uuu,

With a short day ahead of us, we took our time getting started and climbed up to the Rocca (the castle ruins) above the town, enjoying the quiet (the chariots and their rooters were long gone) and the great views.  Afterwards we made an efficient ride to Vicenza, stopping briefly only at Bassano del Grappa for a quick look around.

I remember Vicenza as an exceptional monumental town with much to see - the city was the home of the great architect Palladio, and his creations in Vicenza have been designated a UNESCO world heritage site. Best for us was the Olympic Theater, Palladio's final project and one of the only remaining Renaissance theaters still in existence - completed in the late 14th century, it is allegedly the oldest indoor theater in the world. Its trompe-l'oeil onstage scenery is remarkable, giving the illusion of archways leading off into the distance. We also especially admired the amazing altar in Santa Corona Church.  On a much less grand scale, I also was very pleased with a new cycling jersey honoring the local cycling team.

Onstage scenery in the Olympic Theater
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ponte San Michele, Vicenza
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Vicenza
Heart 0 Comment 0
Altar in the Church of Santa Corona, Vicenza
Heart 0 Comment 0
Altar inlay detail, Santa Corona Church
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Vicenza
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Vicenza
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Vicenza
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 566 miles (911 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0