Setting the stage - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2014

Setting the stage

This is another in a series of my old cycle tour journals that I've been dusting off and publishing as a time waster while waiting for the next tour (the Pyrenees this year!) to roll around.  This one was one of our shorter tours - just 3 weeks, about the minimum we'd consider for an overseas outing.  It was all the time we could pull off this year, because Rachael was just starting off with a new employer and it didn't seem reasonable to dash right off for a longer break. 

As usual we traveled light, without a tent and camping gear, and stayed at whatever hotel or B&B we could find each evening.  We kept more flexibility in our schedule then than we do now, with only a general itinerary in mind and no room reservations other than for our nights in Venice at the end of the road.  We were riding our stock blue Cannondale touring bikes - this may have been the last time we rode them, because somewhere along here I crashed them both into the roof of our garage, about a month or two apart.  Soon afterwards we sold the sedan and got a small wagon so we could throw our bikes inside instead - I'm just not a person that can remember I'm packing a bike over my head, apparently.

It's been fun for me to pull together this archived notebook with prints from a dusty old photo album and remenisce a bit.  Hope you enjoy it.

Rachael enjoying company for lunch, Skofja Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the home stretch - lunch between Vicenza and Venice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0