Novo Mesto to Olimje - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 1998

Novo Mesto to Olimje

This was another day which threatened rain; and although it never came to pass it was gray, windy and ominous throughout.  We almost pulled up short at Brezice after only about 50k.  Sitting in a small city park, we debated back and forth over whether to stay or continue on another 40k to the spa area around Podcetertek.  Finally we decided to press on with the understanding that we could change our minds if the rains arrived.

The first half of the day continued down the Krk Valley.  The countryside has gradually changed, seeming  bit drier and warmer and the population  bit poorer.  It feels less Austrian than the surroundings near the capitol.  We crossed over the river at Kostanjevica and then followed a very quiet road up a small tributary, over a ridge, and back down to the river again.  We struggled a bit with directions throughout the morning - at one point we veered 4k off route and had to retrace our steps; and as we left Kostanjevica I stopped at least three people for directions.  One thing that has surprised me is how few people speak English here, or even German.  I've had considerable difficulty making myself understood.

The day proved to be quite physically demanding - we had adverse winds all afternoon, and a long climb north of Bizeljsko as well as several minor ones. We'd both had enough by day's end when we arrived at Podcetertek, where we were delighted to find an open and helpful tourist center that directed us to a lovely new B&B in Olimje - part of complex including a brewpub-restaurant build in 1997.  It is a gret, inexpensive place to stay in an interesting surrounding.

Being a day ahead of schedule, we decided to stay two nights, reserving Wednesday for hiking the surrounding hills and villages.  We had a great meal at the restaurant - gorgonzola steak (Rachael) and mushroom/lamb cutlets and a delicious dark beer (Scott), topped off with chocolate palacinkas.

Otocec Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Croatian border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Croatian border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Croatian border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Croatian border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Croatian border
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 131 miles (211 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0