Ljubljana to Bled - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 1998

Ljubljana to Bled

One exceptional aspect of Slovenia is its biker friendliness and awareness.  When I asked at the hotel desk for a good map of the city so we could plan our escape route, we were instead advised in detail as to the best way out by bike.  Nowhere else have we found so many people with first hand knowledge of cycling routes and conditions.

We were well advised, and enjoyed probably the easiest passage from a larger city that we have encountered anywhere - a marked bike lane that carried us about 10k to the northwest, all the way into the countryside, as we worked our way along the Sava toward Skofja Loka.  Today's weather is much improved - gray but dry, with a few blueish windows gradually opening up in the clouds.

We arrived in Skofja Loka about 11, and enjoyed its sights for several hours.  It has another well preserved old town with much to see - a castle, many midieval buildings.  Best of all, it has a great dessert stop, where Rachael enjoyed chocolate cake at an outside tble while she visited with a very affectionate young orange cat.  Afterwards we cycled up to a church uphill and out of town so we could enjoy a fine view back over the town.

We hadn't known what to expect today for weather and had initially thought we might stay here; but with conditions improving as the day went on we decided to continue on to Bled.  We had some significant navigation problems along the way, seeing more than our share of dead ends, roads dissipating into green paths, and that sort of thing - but gradually we worked our way to Kranj (where we picnicked on the bridge) and to the lake.  The last few miles were on a very quiet road through a string of small villages, marred only by a short, very steep ridge.

In Bled, we checked in to a Sobe close by the lake; and after cleaning up stepped out for a great meal at a nearby gostelina.  We ordered too ambitiously though and were unale to finish our large servings of roast potatoes and palachinka dessert.

Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch buddy, Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wall art, Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
He Capucin Bridge, Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Skofa Loka
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kranj
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 278 miles (447 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0