Bled to Bohinj - Ljubljana to Venice 1998 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 1998

Bled to Bohinj

Another gray weather report faced us this morning, along with the unwelcome news that Vrsic Pass is under 20cm of snow.  It is very cold out - perhaps as low as 5C.  We abandoned our plan to cross over Vrsic, and instead decided to take the train from Bohinj to the west side of the mountains.  After packing up we set out for Bohinj, planning to arrive early and check in to the train station.

(The remainder of this day's journal had only brief, sketchy notes.. It looks like I must have gotten behind and just jotted down highlights later. Here's what I can piece together from these brief notes, looking at our photos, and my sketchy memory.)

- We had gradually clearing skies, giving user some views of the surrounding Alps.
- We found a private room for the night in the village, managing to check in early and drop off our equipment.
- We took a hike up the ridge on the east side of the lake, but it was a bit frustrating. We lost the trail at one point, and never really got a decent view of the lake.
- We enjoyed a visit to the small, beautiful lakeside Church of Saint John the Baptist, and were befriended by a lovely cat while we waited for it to open.
- We cycled out to the west end of the lake and took the cable car to the top of Mount Vogel for a great view over the lake and mountains, and a loop hike through the high country.
- We had a good dinner, featuring a whole trout fresh from the lake.  After dinner, we enjoyed looking at the ones that got away swimming beneath the bridge.

Mount Trigalv
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bohinjska Bistrica
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of Saint John the Baptist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bohinj basin, from Mount Vogel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hiking on Mount Vogel
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the viewing platform, Mount Vogel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lakeside companion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge over Sava Bohinjska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slavica waterfall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mural, Saint John the Baptist Church
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 303 miles (488 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0