Day 4 - Slocan Valley rail-trails - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2023

Day 4

Slocan to Crescent Valley

{Map}

There was a fierce rainstorm the previous night, and we awoke to another soggy campsite. We packed up and waited for a break in the weather which finally appeared at 11:00 am. 

We continued along the Great Rail-Trail, following the Slocan river this time. Once again, the trail was almost flat. This must be a popular bike route in the summer; there were numerous picnic tables and benches all along it. There were helpful signs along the way too. They explain the modern history of the area, and describe some of the vegetation and animal life. It was a very educational and scenic ride. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

For example, during WWII, the Slocan valley was used to intern many thousands of people of Japanese descent, despite their Canadian citizenship. Their farms, fishing boats, and homes were seized by the government, and sold at auction. One hopes a certain modern political party does not use it as a playbook. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We ate our lunch in Winlaw, and spread out our soggy camping gear to dry in the sun. 

Enjoying lunch in the sunshine.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we met a black bear on the trail. He wasn’t a problem; we chased him off with our bike bells and shouting.

Bears don't like bike bells.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Crescent Valley at about 5:45 pm and quickly found a wild campsite. There are no official campsites in town, but there is a municipal park with many stern warning signs that proclaim “NO Camping” in the park ever, under any circumstances. However, the park boundaries are clearly marked with 4x4 posts, so we just walked beyond them and setup camp.

NO camping in THIS park.
Heart 2 Comment 0

 

Note to self: Do not bring fluorescent tie-outs when stealth camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 135 km (84 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0