Day 14 - Slocan Valley rail-trails - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2023

Day 14

Home, at last.

RIH let her out after three days. The prognosis is good; she may make a full recovery soon. But sadly, more long distance bike tours are postponed until next year.

The cause of the kidney failure is still unknown. There will be a needle biopsy after her kidneys heal completely - that may provide some answers. But the most likely explanation is the 10 hour ride up to Farron Station, with no water for the last four hours. 

US readers will be amused to hear the total cost for Louise’s medical treatment, hospital stay, and future dialyses, was $6 for some multi-vitamin pills.

Update, October 12, 2023. Louise is at home and resting. She has been on four hours of haemo-dialysis, every second day, since she was discharged from RIH two weeks ago. There is still a good chance that her kidneys will fully recover. However dialysis every second day may have to continue for a few more months. (Total cost of treatment so far is still $6).

Update, November 11, 2023.  Louise has finished haemo-dialysis and her port has been removed. She is not quite back to 100%; more like 25% kidney function. But she can continue to improve without spending four hours, every second day, in the dialysis ward. 

Total cost of treatment is still $6. But travel insurance is a different story. Johnson-Medoc quoted $14,000 for our next trip out of the country. And the price would be even higher if we spent any time in the USA.

Thanks to everyone that read this blog. No further updates or edits are planned.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezThank goodness for good health care! What a finish to your tour.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenWow. That was quite an experience, and not in a good way. Kudos to Louise for doing as well as she did. Hoping for a full recovery and many more bike tours to come.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Betsy EvansYikes. I'm glad that Louise is on the mend. Scary!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonWhat an ordeal, and a good reminder for us all to take hydration seriously. Please wish Louise well for us and follow up with a post to let us know when she’s fully recovered.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago