Day 10 - Slocan Valley rail-trails - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2023

Day 10

Grand Forks to Kamloops

She didn’t improve, so we called off the rest of the trip and began trying to find a way back to our car at Nakusp, about 240 km north. One might think that would be easy. Grand Forks is a modern town with about 5,000 people. Surely there would be a bus or a car rental, or some way out of town. But alas no. The internet provided many links to bus stations, none of which existed. There were no links to car rentals and no trains. The closest we found was a rumour that a woman somewhere in town, sometimes provided a ride to her neighbours when they had a medical appointment.  

We were about to give up, and cycle back through Christina Lake and into Castlegar (50 km) where there was a car rental. But at the last minute, we stumbled across a very small local car rental. How small, you ask? They were so small, they operated out of a body repair shop, they didn’t advertise or even have a sign outside, and they only have two cars in total. But one of them was available - a tiny SUV, and that was all we needed.

Two bikes and five saddle bags fit into this sub-compact Buick.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We crammed all our bikes and bags into the rental car, and drove to Nakusp (3.5 hours). Then we transferred the cargo into our car, and drove both vehicles back to Grand Forks (3.5 hours) to return the rental car. Finally, we were free to drive back home to Kamloops (5.5 hours). We arrived at 11:00 pm, staggering like the walking dead. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0