Zafferana Etnea to Castiglione di Sicilia - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2023

Zafferana Etnea to Castiglione di Sicilia

Today was a beautiful day and our opportunity to climb Etna North. But we chose not to.

I’d created two possible routes, one taking Via Mareneve, the scenic road that climbs over the northeast shoulder of Etna, and one that sticks to SP 59 between Fornazza and Linguaglossa. When we got to Fornazza and decision time, we both opted for the low road. We had already climbed 300 metres and the question was whether we wanted to climb 300 or 900 metres more.  Al said it was fine by him to stay on the lower road but it was my call. I think he wanted to take the easier road but didn’t want to admit it!  I chose the low road and it was very pleasant. Fewer photos from the road again today, perhaps we’re getting accustomed to the scenery after 4 weeks…

So often on this trip, there’s been nowhere to sit in the sun and take a break. Today, though, we saw many, three of them within a couple hundred metres in Fornazza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The AG2R Citroën boys passed us again today, riding with a friend. Al was quick enough to get the proof.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yet another bike and Etna portrait!
Heart 5 Comment 0
We both noticed these gates, guarding access to yet another apparently abandoned property.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Etna vineyard!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonWe were very fortunate with the weather. Paying for it today!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our destination, Castiglione di Sicilia
Heart 6 Comment 0

Finding our accommodation was actually pretty straightforward this time. It helped that it’s an actual hotel, complete with big signage, though only 9 rooms. 

We approached walking our bikes up the narrow road on the right in the picture and passed right by. We soon popped out in Piazza Lauria, which we knew was very close. A bit of circling and there it was!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had lunch at a nearby restaurant and then went for a short walk in the old town. 

On the church across the piazza from where we had lunch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Motta Camostra across the valley, I think.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The old buildings were made with whatever was available
Heart 4 Comment 0
And in some cases, the sandstone bedrock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Walking to Castello Lauria
Heart 4 Comment 0
View from Castello Lauria
Heart 3 Comment 0
This woman showed us around the castello. Whether she was there in an official or unofficial role, I don’t know but she was enthusiastic about the place. We also learned that her family were beekeepers and made honey (this area, especially Zafferana, is famous for it) but the bees haven’t been doing well lately.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Castello Lauria
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back down from Castello Lauria
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castello Lauria
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Basilica Maria SS della Catena (patron saint of Castiglione di Sicilia)
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Basilica Maria SS della Catena
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Basilica Maria SS della Catena
Heart 0 Comment 0

And of course, this is Italy. After some down time at our hotel, we went out for more food.  We ate at President, an inexpensive trattoria recommended by our hotel (which I thought had a restaurant but must not be open just now).

Spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lamb chops
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tiramisu for dessert
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,133 km (704 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0