Prizzi to Monreale - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2023

Prizzi to Monreale

We were both happy to leave Il Bagnio Antico. I’ll withhold any opinion on Prizzi itself because the crappy accommodation put it under a cloud for me.  I don’t know what we would have done without  little family-run trattoria a short distance away.

Today was the last real ride of the trip, all the way to Monreale. I’d created two routes, which diverged at Corleone.  When we got there, we chose the slightly longer, somewhat hillier option. As Al commented, it was definitely a scenic route (but perhaps the other way was as well).

Lago di Prizzi and an interesting formation on the hill beyond
Heart 1 Comment 0
I'd have loved to get up there for a closer look but this zoomed-in image will have to do.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here's a new one: donkey drive.
Heart 2 Comment 0

 I have a video too, the first I've ever tried to shoot while riding.  Fumble-fingered as I am, though, I had to to stop, get my phone out, and start recording, then stop riding and put a foot down before stopping the recording.   Much footage was left on the cutting-room floor!

The donkeys all made for the right side of the road but the second herder got them turned so they entered the farmyard on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We didn't visit the Agriturismo but its sign provided a nice view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical scenery today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Telespazio: a Leonardo and Thales company, said the sign. It made us think of the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory near Penticton, BC, but that's operated by the Canada National Research Council, not a private company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another roadside flower
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe mallow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malva_sylvestris
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Yet another roadside flower
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltPicture matches dwarf morning glory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus_tricolor
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
These are common along the roadsides and in the fields. Some fields are completely red with them, making us wonder if they aree grown as a crop.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe French honeysuckle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla_coronaria
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat sure looks like it! Thanks, Bill!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lago di Piana degli Albanesi, with the town of Piana degli Albanesi beyond.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was pleasant and scenic, challenging but not too challenging.  We stopped for lunch in Piani degli Albanese at a small restaurant with several e-bikes parked outside. It was a day tour from Palermo!  The participants were Americans and not regular cyclists.  I’m not sure if they started from Palermo or Monreale but the day trip included lunch at this restaurant and a visit to a nearby museum before riding back to Palermo.  The guide asked us about our route to Monreale and wanted to make sure we knew about the old rail line. He couldn’t really describe or show us how to get on it, but it turned out our route did use it.

Our bikes shared the patio with e-bikes from Palermo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can't remember the name of the dish I ordered, but it was new potatoes with cheese and some kind of bacon on top. Tasty, but loaded!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Piani degli Albanese
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of the descent to Monreale (or rather, the valley to its east)
Heart 2 Comment 0
That must be Monreale
Heart 1 Comment 0
And that must be Palermo
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rail line had been converted to a narrow paved road but, although not free of vehicle traffic, was much better than the bigger roads.

There were even a couple of tunnels on the former rail line.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at our B&B with little difficulty and were let in by the disinterested host.  Most B&Bs in smaller centres have been operated by their owners, often young couples building their own businesses.  This fellow was not one of those.  He let us bring our bikes up to the first-floor landing outside our room, checked us in and showed us where breakfast would be, then disappeared.

After checking in and carrying our bikes up to the first-floor landing, we went for a walk to figure out where the Cattedrale di Monreale was, since it was the reason for our stop here. We ate a light dinner at a very nice (for us) restaurant which seemed popular for Italian family celebrations—there were at least 3 happening there on this Wednesday evening. 

Cattedrale di Monreale, front view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cattedrale di Monreale, rear view. This is the side that faces Palermo and would have been clearly visible from the city below before the buildings across the street were built. What a way for William II to raise the proverbial finger to the Archbishop of Palermo!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant was a bit over our usual budget and we weren't as famished as usual due to our late, large lunch. So we shared this unusual pizza with buffalo mozzarella, smoked salmon, shrimp, and almonds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,606 km (997 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lyle McLeodGreat tour. You’ve put Sicily on our radar. Hope all goes well for the wrap up of your tour. Those are always nerve wracking days.
We just finished the Vercors part of our tour, riding mostly your routes. Thanks! When I re-read your Gorges du Nan day your pictures and mine look like they were taken from exactly the same spots. I guess there are naturally scenic positions where everybody stops.
Safe travels home.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lyle McLeodI'll be writing a retrospective at the end; just now I'm editing my many Monreale Cathedral photos. We are glad we went as it's been something we've both wanted to do, but I doubt we will go back.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Patrick O'HaraGreat journal and tour! Hope all goes well in the final days before departure! Hope you both enjoy some 'off bike' time, eat great food, and drink soothing libations; watching the world go by!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago