Hanging out in Randazzo - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2023

Hanging out in Randazzo

Just hanging out?  Again?  Didn’t we just have a rest day?

We did, but yesterday we arrived in Randazzo damp and getting chilled, thanks to the cold headwind and off-and-on rain. Today’s forecast was for rain all day and it was pouring as we looked out from the breakfast room. Neither of us wanted to ride up to a higher elevation and as we had arrived on the low road, and tomorrow would involve some elevation gain and likely also some rain, a day off the bikes was a unanimous decision. It didn’t even require any thought!

We loafed around a bit and then ventured out to see what Randazzo town had to offer when the sun came out. We were still surrounded by nasty-looking clouds so no regrets on our decision, even though the rain hasn’t started again as I write this in the late afternoon.  Tomorrow’s forecast has improved since the last time I checked so fingers crossed. 

Last night’s restaurant was chosen based on what is becoming our usual Sunday night criteria:  close (due to bad weather) and open (on Sunday). It was pretty good!

My first course: fresh linguine with mushrooms and sausage.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Shared second course: veal with arugula, Parmesan, tomato, and balsamic
Heart 2 Comment 0
Shared dessert: ricotta with orange and almonds (I think). Whatever, it was really good!
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesSure looks like slivered almonds.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThe almonds and orange flavour I was certain about. I thought I heard our server say “mousse” but Al heard “ricotta”.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today we walked around and saw a couple of very large churches from the 13th century that are still in use and an even older monastery that is unfortunately disintegrating.  We found not one but two bike shops, both open, and Al bought himself a Sicilia jersey. Who knows, we might even see him wear it on this trip.

Chiesa di Santa Maria with visiting school group. Around the side is an arcaded storage area with parts for the 20-metre tall Vara used in the mid-August procession in honour of the Assumption.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can see that the basalt pavers of this street are still very wet. They are awful to ride on dry and even worse wet.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Chiesa San Nicola, if s as similar age to Chiesa Santa Maria but not built with the same massive basalt lava blocks.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view of Chiesa San Nicola
Heart 3 Comment 0
Via Roma in most towns is a major street, but not in 21st Century Randazzo. Here it leads to Porta Pugliese, which used to give access to a bridge over the Alcantara—which was washed out in the 16th Century.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Porta Pugliese, one of 12 remaining gates in the former town wall.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pizza by the slice for lunch, accompanied by chinotto. Yes, the green stuff on top is chopped pistachio.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesPistachios are good on everything?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAbsolutely! We’ve had pistachio pastries, pasta with pistachio pesto, and pistachio gelato on the day it was warm enough.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, we stayed at Ai Tre Parche back in 2016. Is Matteo still the owner? If so, say hello to him for us!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonHe is, and I did. He didn’t remember you specifically until I showed him a photo that included your bikes. Then he remembered!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago