Adjusting the plan - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2023

Adjusting the plan

In my previous entry, I mentioned that we'd made all but one booking.  We wanted to stay at La Casa di Montalbano in Punta Secca, the B&B in what was Montalbano's apartment in the TV show.  When I contacted them and asked about their rates in March/April, the price they mentioned was a little above our usual budget, but reasonable.  They also said they weren't taking bookings until January 9.  I emailed again but only really saw the part of the response that said bookings opened January 23.  Okay, then.  But when I tried then, I learned that the B&B would not open until April.  Time to rethink.

We could find another place to stay in Punta Secca, but was there any other reason to go there in March?  We looked at the route I'd planned to get there, highlighted in green as "scenic" on my Michelin map, but which seems to now be a road through land covered in greenhouses as seen on the rwgps satellite view.  Scratch that!

Where to spend those two nights instead?  We narrowed that down to Ragusa or Scicli, where we already had one night booked because Punta Secca to Noto via Ragusa, Modica, and Scicli was just too far for one day.  Then, if we were going to stay in Ragusa, why not do a day ride through Modica and Scicli and find a different route to Noto?

So here's the revised plan:

There are a few day rides included here, along with options for some of the travel days.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just seven weeks until departure!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Scott AndersonSo when are you staying in Randazzo, Troina and Nicosia? We must be within a day or two in Randazzo (4/15 for us), but you must certainly be crossing paths somewhere with Racpat traveling east along your route. It looks like they’re planning stays in Nicosia, Troina and Randazzo themselves before meeting up with us.

Also, you’re staying in Grammichele and then biking through Caltagirone on your way to Piazza Armerina? We must be a hit or near miss there also - we’ll be in Caltagirone for three nights on 3/30-4/01.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetHi Scott

We are in Randazzo April 16 and 17, moving on to Troina on April 18. We'll pass through Nicosia on our way to Sperlinga on April 19.

Earlier, we'll be in Grammichele April 5, going via Caltagirone to Piazza Armerina for two nights on April 6. You'll have moved on by then, it seems.

I'm not sure what Racpat's dates/route are.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetRacpat just updated their route through Sicily a few days ago. Looks like we’ll be missing you by just a day. We’re all booked down in Patti on the 16th. So close!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonAh, well, you might be sick of us after Palermo and Castellammare del Golfo! It's a shorter trip for me (plenty long enough for Al) and no ferry to the boot this time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraLooking forward to following along. Susanna and I will be relying on your (and others) experience for guidance for our own tour of Sicily one day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Patrick O'HaraI first got interested in touring Sicily when I followed along with Scott and Rachel’s first tour there. But it definitely had to wait until after retirement!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersThat looks like an amazing route Jacquie. Looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraSicily is one of my all time favorite places! The flowers are spectacular in the spring time and the food is amazing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonWhen I read about your and Scott's 2016 tour, I decided I had to go there someday. Then the Mathers went in 2018 and you returned in 2019! We are getting excited...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago