RAGBRAI Anticipation - Across the US on Steel and Titanium - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2023

RAGBRAI Anticipation

So for those who do not know…..RAGBRAI. 

The Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa is the largest and longest running organized bike tour in the World. But why Iowa?  The Register is Iowas largest news paper, out of DesMoines. In 1973 two of the papers reporters, both avid cyclists, came up with the idea of crossing the state by bike and writing an article each day documenting the journey. This was John Karas and Donald Kaul. They ran the idea by the boss and got approval, then asked the general public if anyone wanted to join them.  Over 300 riders joined in that first year.  After that first ride they received requests to do it again and so in 1974 they rode again.  The first year was named The GreaT Six Day Bicycle Ride. The second year became the Second Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. And so every year the ride has grown usually having well over 15,000 riders per year. This years ride is the 50th Anniversary and the crowd is expected to swell to over 50,000 when traveling in and around DesMoines. 

You wouldn’t think a ride across a “fly over state” would become so popular but folks come not only from all over the US but the world!!!!  What’s so special?  Iowa! It’s a great state!  Yes, it’s mostly farms growing corn and beans, and raising bacon. But the folks here are great and the small towns always seem to hold some special place or history.  The old architecture is sometimes very surprising and something I find interesting. Most small towns have their own museums and I have seen some really interesting collections over the 14 years I have ridden RAGBRAI.   Worlds largest popcorn ball?…..in IOWA.  Johnny Carson’s childhood home….IOWA.  And you meet people from all walks of life and of diverse backgrounds. 

Still today, as when I first started I have been amazed at the response of the folks living along the route, which is different every year.   The ride takes 7 days and is anywhere from 400+ to 500+ miles total starting at the Missouri River and ending at the Mississippi.  All along the route local folks line the roads cheering riders on and shouting “where ya from?”, even out in the boonies where the closest farm house could be miles away.  Churches, schools, Boy and Girl Scouts sell food and drink to raise money to fund various needs. Farmers sell fresh sweet corn dipped in butter right at their farm houses. Food venders come from surrounding states to sell their goods.  Farmers set out their best collections of restored antique tractors all lined up in rows on the roads. And the road from town to town is packed with bikes in both lanes, all day long, for miles and miles.   In the overnight towns if there is a grassy spot chances are it will be covered by tents.  Iowans will invite you to stay in their homes, share a meal, camp in their yards, drink a beer in the shade of their tree. 

If you haven’t been, you should go. This will be my 15th but I have also dragged my sister, brother-in-law, and son out here. I have made friends with a bunch of great people, many of whom I ride with every year. They have graciously accepted me into their group and shared their homes with me.  I’ve even met my wife’s cousin a number of times though they have not seen each other since they were kids. And his parents have visited our home also. 

The ride starts in two days so in the mean time a couple pics from this years start in Sioux City: 

Lewis and Clark were here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
L&C rock.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Murals
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I once met World Champion Velodrome Cyclist Nelson Vails
Heart 2 Comment 0

I have met founder John Karas several times
Heart 2 Comment 0


Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 2,078 miles (3,344 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0