Making our way to the start: Slowly, slowly from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town - The second step ... A booze cruise that is actually a dry run - CycleBlaze

February 19, 2017

Making our way to the start: Slowly, slowly from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town

After finishing off most of the business,chores and family celebrations in Port Elizabeth we finaly started making our way down to Cape Town.

The trip that normally takes less than a full day has been spread over three days with stopovers at Plettenberg Bay and Stilbaai.

The Stilbaai stop was to find a Red-necked Buzzard - a mega rarity for southern Africa, its normal range is north and central Africa - that has been in the area since December.

Red-necked Buzzard
Heart 0 Comment 0

Using the reports from other birders of where it has been hanging out we managed to find it within a few minutes so after spending some time watching it we were able to explore a bit of the village of Stilbaai itself.

From Stilbaai we carried on to Cape Town where we spent a couple of nights with our niece (who kick-started the food and wine aspect of the tour with a meal at Durbanville Hills Winery on Friday) followed by a couple of nights at our nephew in Durbanville from where we will start our tour. We had a short ride from Burgandy Estate, where our niece lives, that introduced us to the hazards of cycling in the Cape Town area.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0