Durbanville to Wemershoek: Wind, traffic and punctures - The second step ... A booze cruise that is actually a dry run - CycleBlaze

February 20, 2017

Durbanville to Wemershoek: Wind, traffic and punctures

We got away from our nephew soon after six thirty in the morning. Dawn had not yet broken but the traffic was in full swing. Within a few kilometers, and still within the town of Durbanville, we picked up our first puncture, the cause being two "dubbeltjies" or "duiweltjies" (little devils) which seem to eat Schwalbe Marathun Duremes for breakfast. Dubbeltjies are three-sided pyramid shaped thorns with spikes on all four corners so they have a great probability of sticking to, and through, tyres.

First puncture of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Within six kilometers we were heading north on the R302 Wellington Road, a lovely rural environment except for the mass of traffic. We just couldn't believe the amount of cars and trucks on what we thought would be a quiet rural road. The didn't change once we did a right turn onto the R312 eastwards so we just had to grin and bear it.

We turned onto the R304 southwards to Stellenbosch and the road got a bit quieter but the dreaded south-easterly wind, or Cape Doctor, had picked up. From here until the end of the day we plodded onwards into a headwind that grew stronger and stronger. While on the R304 we got a nice surprise when our nephew arrived to see how we were doing.

Just after crossing over the N1 we stopped for second breakfast at Joostenburg from where we turned onto the R101 to Klapmuts. A quick stop for a coke and we were on our way down the Simmondium road. At this point the shoulder disappeared, the wind picked up even more and the traffic got more manic. At the entrance to Glen Carlou Winery Leigh picked up her first puncture.

Second puncture at Glen Carlou Wines
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Simmondium we turned southwards to Franschoek and slogged into the wind until we turned northwards up to Wemmershoek we we checked into De Hollandsche Mollen where we have camped in the past.

After setting up the tent we jumped back on the bikes and cycled down to the Lynx Winery where we had a great tasting and an impromptu cellar tour. The smaller wineries (Lynx has only 11 hectares under vines) almost always seem to be more enjoyable than the larger operations.

The Little Wire Bicycle is back on the road and tasting wine at the Lynx Winery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leigh picked up another puncture while at Lynx - another dubbeltjie - so I'm not sure Schwalbe Marathon Duremes are up to African conditions. Along with the wind and the traffic this made today pretty exhausting.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 63 km (39 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Dino Angelicihttps://www.dreamstime.com/close-up-devil-s-thorn-specifically-one-south-african-s-refer-to-as-dubbeltjie-close-up-devil-s-thorn-specifically-image265952615
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Dino AngeliciHad many of them in my feet as a barefoot youngster. Now they torture my bicycle tyres.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago