Flatland and Farms - Ascaping Covid and Winter in Arizona - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2020

Flatland and Farms

Okay, I think that bicycling is a good form of social distancing!
Heart 1 Comment 1
For awhile, our road out of Parker followed this canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We think this was a flooded rice paddy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We think this is the Central Arizona Project Canal. As you can see it carries quite a bit of water. The Colorado Indian Nation is the largest user of Colorado River water with rights to divert 662,000 acre feet of water per year. That's more than double that for the state of Nevada! But the original law of the mid-1960's bars the Nation legally from leasing water rights to growing cities, towns and subdivisions. It's for their crops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of green fields in this valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we decided to change up our riding location to a flatter farming area south of Parker. Don had found lots of paved roads that we could explore which sounded interesting to me.

By 10 it had warmed up enough to ride so we drove to Parker where we parked in the Walmart lot once again. From there we uloaded the bike and rode south through town on Agency Rd. which took us from the plateau that Parker sits on down into a valley. For awhile, the road  followed a wide canal full of water.

It was all flat riding with little to no traffic as we passed fields of green alfalfa, onions, spinach and even some flooded ride paddies. There were a few homes scattered here and there, some nicer ones and many run down properties similar to many we've seen on other Indian reservations. There were quite a few dogs at homes along with the requisite dog chases, but none of them were serious ones. 

We were now in the Colorado Indian Nation which was established in 1865 for the Hopi, Navajo, Mojave and Chemehuevi tribes.They did have an impressive courthouse and government buildings.

The roads were all laid out in a square grid pattern so we just zigged and zagged our way around, exploring the area. Most of the them had decent pavement but some were a bit rough. All roads had no shoulder to speak of with little traffic except for a couple of major ones. 

When we reached the grounds of a closed school, we stopped for lunch. There was supposed to be moument to a Japanese internment camp in this area, but we never saw it. Maybe it's further south.

This was one day that was sunny and nearly 70 degrees, but it was a bit breezy and still felt cooler to me. Don was fine in shorts and shortsleeve top with bike sandals while I still wore some layers. Maybe I need a bit more fat on my body!

Eventually we made our way back to the van where we loaded up the bike, got gas and stopped at a roadside stand that sold wind spinners. We ended up buying a cute one of a pink flamingo riding a bicycle that we'll put out at camp. Hey - gotta keep up with all of the other RV'ers!

We didn't get back to camp until 3 so the rest of the afternoon was spent with showers and beginning the packing up of our stuff like chairs, rug and dance floor. We're leaving here tomorrow and driving to another state park near Apache Junction. 

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kelly IniguezYour flamingo riding a bike wind spinner sounds TOO cute. Do you have a close up photo?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago