Finally Time for Some Biking - Ascaping Covid and Winter in Arizona - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2020

Finally Time for Some Biking

This is the Parker Dam. I like the art deco architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Don and Garfield at the Parker Dam.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI see you have just one rear pannier here. The bike must handle fine? Did you have your underseat panniers also?

I am extra sensitive now to how I pack my bike . . . .
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
This is a different shot showing the river below the Parker Dam
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pretty day along the Colorado River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While I washed our breakfast dishes in a basin this morning, Don worked on draining all of the bleach out of our water system and then flushing it out with fresh water. He then set up our grey water portable caddy outside next to the trailer. 

This park only has electric and fresh water hookups with no separate sewer waste port, hence our grey water caddy. We only have waste water from our sink as we have no flushable toilet. The caddy is on wheels and can be towed by hand or hooked up to the hitch on the van to be taken over to the park's dump station for disposal. Boy, the things we're learning about RV's!

After lunch, we got the bike out of the van and did a short ride north to the Parker Dam to loosen up our legs. We had to ride on Hwy. 95 which was a busy road. There was a shoulder but it was rough and full of debris. 

The ride was interesting and we enjoyed seeing this historic dam built on the Colorado River. It was built between 1934 and 1938 by the Bureau of Reclamation and is 320 ft. high, 235 ft. are below the riverbed, making it the deepest dam in the world.

We had just pulled back into the campground when we discovered we had a flat on the back tire. Well, that wasn't surprising considering how much debris was in the shoulder. At least we weren't on the side of the highway!

Don got the tire off and discovered that the tire was full of glass cuts and that the tube had been installed incorrectly by the previous owner. He put in a new tube and tomorrow we'll hit a bike shop for a new tire since the one on the bike was older and worn. In retrospect, we should have put new tubes and tires on the bike before this trip. Sheesh, you'd think we would know better!

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and enjoying the sunshine. The power was out in the campground for the remainder of the day and night. On our ride, we had seen crews working on a power line near the park. With no TV to occupy the evening, we went to bed early, lulled to seep by the rumble of our neighbor's generator.

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 8 miles (13 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0