What we we thinking? - To and fro along the The Great Taste Trail - CycleBlaze

November 21, 2021

What we we thinking?

Read no further if dogs don't do it for you

Like most of the CycleBlaze community, we are spending our second year grounded in Aotearoa. In recent weeks, I have obsessively read the journals of you lucky people touring in Europe this summer. And what fantastic reading!

The other thing we did between the 2020 and 2021 lockdowns was to get a puppy. We're not alone in this, of course, but it has made a difference to our lives, not the least to the way we use our bikes. At home in Picton, the 10km round bike trip to our favourite café on fine days has taken on a new dimension. The pup, Scout, has graduated from a backpack to box to, finally, her own super-duper Burley trailer.

Probably her least favourite means of transportation
Heart 3 Comment 0
Then there was the box
Heart 4 Comment 0

We tested the final iteration, the trailer, a few months ago on a series of day rides on the Hawkes Bay Trails, a wonderful network of cycle paths that meander around the cafés, farmland and vineyards of Napier and  Hastings on the East Coast of the North Island.

Now, though, we want to try the Great Taste Trail at the top of the South Island. Tricia Graham wrote about their Great Taste adventure this time last year in her CycleBlaze journal. She provides lots of interesting info about the small settlements they rode through, with some hints that the trail may be rather demanding in places. Oh well, we're up for the challenge.

The map. We are starting at the bottom somewhere below Tapawera, and unnamed because there is nothing to name!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second complicating factor is as a result of the first. Because we are travilling with a canine, it is easier to stay in our own camper than to find accommodation en route. This will involve much shuttling back and forth to ensure that all three of us end up in the camper at the end of each day. It's a good thing Tour Leader cherishes those extra kilometers! 

So this will be a very short but logistically challenging tour. And, hopefully, not every photo in the journal will involve the dog . . .

Heart 4 Comment 8
Robyn RichardsMeet Scout, a 9 month old female labradoodle - named for the inquisitive, fearless young protagonist of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonIt would be fine with me if every photo in the journal featured the dog.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsTo Scott AndersonThis may well be the case, Scott!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesI vote more dog. It’s her trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsTo Kathleen JonesYes indeed, it IS all about her, Kathleen! She is an indulged only child😎
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonI agree about more dog photos.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsI'm on to it today
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dawn HunterWell now! Isn't she just one gorgeous pup? 😊
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Sandra LawnHi Intrepid threesome
Looking forward to following your journey around and back and forwards on the Great Taste Trail
Not sure if you know the trail well but I think you will manage with trailer ok for 90% of your time. Theres only about three ‘bicycle friendly ‘ gates to get through, one at bottom of Spooners tunnel. Worst piece with trailer will be a short section between Spooners tunnel and Wakefield, as you head to Wakefield it’s a short rough, but improved, off road section on right side of Highway …in saying that don’t miss it as Scout will love a paddle in the river and seeing the free range chooks.

Go well
Sandy in Nelson
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsTo Sandra LawnHi Sandy
Thanks for trail advice. We know the Kaiteri to Nelson section better than the inland bit. May have to take the trailer off for that bit between Spooners and Wakefield.
We are starting this morning from the southern portal of the tunnel, going clockwise to Kaiteriteri, which leaves Spooners till last.
Happy cycling yourself. And we'll catch up one day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamYou will love it as far as I can see the only really difficult part for a trailer would be the mountain bike part before Kaitereteri but the road which I took is absolutely fine. I love your dog
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robyn RichardsTo Tricia GrahamThanks! She rules our roost but we do enjoy having a dog again and it's a lovely breed.
Yes, we've ridden to Kaiteriteri in the past using the mtb park, and realise there are too many switchbacks for the trailer. Like you, I think we'll leave Kaiteriteri on the road early in the morning to rejoin the trail.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dawn HunterLooks like your kind of activity - and yes the extra kms to and from Bill will be welcomed by the Leader I am sure!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago