Hiking to the Isle of Kerrera - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2005

Hiking to the Isle of Kerrera

For our day off we took a fourteen mile hike to the ferry to Kerrera, a loop of the south end of that small island, and back.  The road to the ferry follows the crest of a small ridge south of town - the terminus of the old drovers route from Mull that continued across the channel to Kerrera, where the ferry is today.

We arrived at the ferry port just in time for the rains to strike.  After huddling in a garage with the other boarders-in-waiting, we walked on the tiny, open-decked ferry (possibly large enough for one car) for the 5 minute crossing, huddled against the wall of the captain's cabin, futilly seeking some relief from the wind.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The loop of the island was quite beautiful, once the rains ceased and the sun broke through.  The highlight was the ruined castle at the south point of the island, overseeing the sound.  Also featured was another navigation failure that led us scrambling through the brush following sheep trails for several miles.

For dinner, we went to the same restaurant as the day before, and I had exactly the same fine meal.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0